Were Jefferson Davis's slaves and servants loyal to him?

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Not all. The Davis family had a complex record of how their slaves and servants felt about them and how loyal they were.
See the article in History.net" Living with the enemy:The Jefferson Davis family and their servants". Mary Stark.
Leftyhunter

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I think many times the historical records show that even loyal men and women who had good feelings for their owners would still take the chance to obtain freedom when they could.

Is there any record of what Davis's former slaves said about him? I'd be curious to read it.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I think many times the historical records show that even loyal men and women who had good feelings for their owners would still take the chance to obtain freedom when they could.

Is there any record of what Davis's former slaves said about him? I'd be curious to read it.
We can't know what slaves actually felt about Davis unless they wrote about it or were interviewed. On the other hand actions speak louder than words.
People are not neceesarily like dogs . Some people don't want to be the property of others.
Leftyhunter