We're Going Live - CWT Antietam Muster 2021

I think it was the quietest James N. was the whole weekend. ( but his knowledge is priceless, and we were fortunate that he was with us to share it.) That was some of the best and cheapest ice cream I think I ever had!
It was hard for him to talk with two scoops of Nutters ice cream in his mouth. :biggrin: :bounce:
In defense of these slurs upon my character (not to mention my svelte figure!) I must regrettably state that I was forced to throw half of that delicious Nutter's chocolate-peanut butter concoction away due to the pressures of time: everybody was heading back to the car and it was - as I fully suspected it would - beginning to drip all over the place!

Ahhh yes that was going to require some serious logistics and we were discussing that you don't want to wait until you HAD to go. 🤣
I distinctly remember a bottle being mentioned in the logistics:bounce::cautious::eek:. And when I was taking my husband through this sequence of pictures and telling him the story, and mentioning the bottle, he spewed!

I’ve wondered, even before you posted that story, how many things from the CW (or Revolutionary War) have simply just been thrown away or burnt up as “no good” or “useless.”

This reminds me of the time on Antiques Roadshow - quite a number of years ago, where an older lady brought in the marriage certificate of Daniel Boone. The local historical society was “cleaning out” and actually threw documents and such in a HIRED DUMPSTER. Fortunately, this woman took a look through and was trying to save stuff and found that. How many just plain letters from soldiers would enlighten us to situations on the battlefield or in hospitals that are long gone - countless.
I'm sure that happens a lot with a lot of heirlooms. Neither of my parents had any sort of memorabilia nor did their siblings; mom didn't even have any photos of her parents (nor did her siblings). And my paternal grandfather was a well-known man and was known to have kept diaries but nobody kept anything of his. I think it downright peculiar now but when I was younger it just never crossed my mind to ask them about it. Neither parent spoke of their parents or childhoods much and I suppose I'd just learned not to ask (as it was apparent that they didn't really want to talk about it).

One of my wife's childhood friends once told me she had boxes and boxes of old family stuff going back to the 1850s but it would "take too much time" to look through it all. I imagine that's been discarded by now. I always am envious of those who did inherit and keep all of grandma's boxes of family stuff.

In honor of Private Quinn and not to forget him:

7ACAE7EB-2282-4A0B-BEBE-210999F9907A.jpeg

And here is the photo of where that horrible well was on the Wise Farm at South Mountain that was filled with dead soldiers. That always bothered me a lot. I’m glad it is filled in and paved over.

View attachment 418780
There is still a lingering controversy as to what Union troops placed the confederate dead in the well and as to the exact number that were placed. It is known, however, that 12 years after the event the bodies were removed for relocation.

On Potomac Street in Harpers Ferry, a little ways up from where everyone ate lunch that Friday.
Thanks, I see it on Google Maps. The street view ends at the RR Depot and turns to go into that parking lot. But you can view back down on Potomac and see it next to the Red passenger car Diner and that long, climbing stairs that take you up to High Street.

Here is a photo I took of the stairs going up to High Street. This was taken about 12 hours after I left my house. The travel fatigue and the suitcase makes these stairs a real challenge. That marker was to the left of the base of the stairs.
Stairs.JPG

At the bottom of Potomac Street, I see the marker for Heyward Shepherd, who was the freeman who was shot by John Brown's men. It was next to one of buildings.
Link to Wiki article on Heyward Shephard Monument.

This is something you don't see very often on Google Maps street view. This is the restaurant Almost Heaven where @Kathy the history sleuth and I grabbed a BLT and you guys watched. Also the ice cream stand next to it. These kids were acting up for the Google traveling camera car. That is funny.
Potomac Street.JPG

There is still a lingering controversy as to what Union troops placed the confederate dead in the well and as to the exact number that were placed. It is known, however, that 12 years after the event the bodies were removed for relocation.

That is interesting to read. Our park ranger firmly believed that Wise cut a deal with Burnside for $1.00 a body to bury them AND then ended up stuffing them in the well himself. So a bit of a different twist on that tale too. Either way, horrible and horrible for the people who had to fish them out of the well eventually.

That is interesting to read. Our park ranger firmly believed that Wise cut a deal with Burnside for $1.00 a body to bury them AND then ended up stuffing them in the well himself. So a bit of a different twist on that tale too. Either way, horrible and horrible for the people who had to fish them out of the well eventually.
Horrible indeed !

I've never heard of this.

Deb Riechmann July 2nd 1992 Washington Post:
For what its worth she claims "theres little doubt that 58 soldiers where buried in Danial Wise well."
Samuel W Compton 12th Ohio, witnessed the the so called burial, and believed a drunken Union detail was to blame.

One dollar per body ?

Mind boggling ... for even back then.

Back