We're Going Live - CWT Antietam Muster 2021

JFW22

Private
THAT is one of the treasures I've carefully saved over the years (despite the unsightly crease on the cover) - my 1965-dated Second Printing of the Fawcett Premier Civil War Classic paperback edition. (Note especially the PRICE!)

View attachment 418344
Wow, that is a classic. Not much you can buy for .75 anymore let alone a prize like that. I am going to see if I can find a copy of one it looks like a great read.

JFW22

Private
This is an excellent thread. The quantity, variety, and quality of the photos is almost overwhelming to me. I am working my way through all of them, but I'm only up to page 14 thus far. Thanks to everyone for their contributions!
You missed a great adventure Patrick, but if you want overwhelming, that is the best word to describe the Doug Bast Boonsborough Museum of History. I can't say anything bad about the CWT Muster, other than I wish we had more time there, but our visit to the museum was incredible. We had 3 hours there, but you could spend a couple days and still not take it all in. I heard more than one person say they had to stop looking and go outside to clear their heads because it was so overwhelming. lol
Glad youre enjoying the thread.

JFW22

Private
THAT is one of the treasures I've carefully saved over the years (despite the unsightly crease on the cover) - my 1965-dated Second Printing of the Fawcett Premier Civil War Classic paperback edition. (Note especially the PRICE!)

View attachment 418344
James, I found a copy on Thriftbooks in what is reported "very good" condition. I'll let you know what that translates to when I get it. There are a number of reprint on amazon etc, but I like the idea of the original version. I will let you know what printing it is when I get it as well. Thanks for turning me onto it.

SJU

Private
I stopped at Ball's Bluff Wednesday afternoon. The main battlefield is very small centered around the cemetery. It's startling to see how the union troops were confined to a very small area with their backs to the steep bluff.
The trees were pretty dense so I couldn't get a good shot of the bluff but it's high and steep.
The photo with the chain link fence shows the view from the bluff. The rise in the intermediate distance is Harrison Island. Maryland is in the far distance.

Ball's Bluff Map.JPG

Ball's Bluff 1.JPG

Ball's Bluff 2.JPG

Ball's Bluff Bluff.JPG

Ball's Bluff Baker Marker.JPG

Ball's Bluff Cemetery.JPG

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I stopped at Ball's Bluff Wednesday afternoon. The main battlefield is very small centered around the cemetery. It's startling to see how the union troops were confined to a very small area with their backs to the steep bluff.
The trees were pretty dense so I couldn't get a good shot of the bluff but it's high and steep.
The photo with the chain link fence shows the view from the bluff. The rise in the intermediate distance is Harrison Island. Maryland is in the far distance.

View attachment 418350

View attachment 418351

View attachment 418352

View attachment 418353

View attachment 418354

View attachment 418355
Of course our very own @Rick Featherston is related to the highest-ranking Confederate officer present, then-Colonel Winfield Scott Featherston pictured in his avatar!

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
IMG_0489[1].jpg

In reviewing my many photos I find that I have already posted nearly all that I took during our stay. Only this pair from Antietam's Sunken Road/Bloody Lane remain from the battlefield itself.

IMG_0488[1].jpg

IMG_0473[1].jpg

Only these few remain from South Mountain - above, view of the Reno and Garland Mortuary Monuments at Fox's Gap; below, view from atop the Washington Monument.

IMG_0479[1].jpg

The final one is of recently acquired property at South Mountain near Turner's Gap - note Clark @Stone in the wall and the dog of @lelliott19 checking things out!

IMG_0480[1].jpg

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
I thought it was him bragging about how he "rode with Stonewall" too. Although I don't know if they would have gotten along, I understand Stonewall was pretty set in his ways too :bounce:
Not too hard to get along with if you do what he tells you to do.

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
I’m surprised it isn’t YOU on the board and I’d have to come and bail you out!:D But I’d do it for you!
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know you would but you might be in there with me as your an Honorary Rebel now. No worries, no Yankees would never catch me!

View attachment 418350

View attachment 418351

View attachment 418352

View attachment 418353

View attachment 418354

View attachment 418355
Wow great photos. I've read about this place but never seen it.

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Of course our very own @Rick Featherston is related to the highest-ranking Confederate officer present, then-Colonel Winfield Scott Featherston pictured in his avatar!
Col Featherston leading the 17th Miss
Col Barksdale leading the 13th Miss
Col Burt leading the 18th Miss (was mortally wounded)
Col Hunton leading the "Bloody" 8th Va. Were homeboys here. Hunton had formed it in near by Leesburg Va.
Col Shank Evans leading the Brigade

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
As you guys already know, I have the world's greatest sister @Diane123 ❤️ This is the second CWT muster we've attended together. Back when me and @bdtex did the Chickamauga muster, we purchased a fantastic waterproof map case as a "Thank you" gift for @Norman Dasinger Jr . A week or so before Antietam, when the weather forecast was so bad, @bdtex said too bad we don't have some of those map cases like we got for Norm.

So look what @Diane123 gave to me and bdtex during the Antietam muster!
20211015_073357.jpg

Check out the double waterproof seal --- a zipper inside and then a flap that secures with velcro.
20211015_073508.jpg

And it folds in thirds and secures with velcro so you can stuff it in the pocket of your rainjacket. That lanyard is attached and can be moved from one side to the other - so I suppose you could also wear the map case around your neck.
20211015_073429.jpg

Thank you @Diane123 it was such a thoughtful gift and so kind of you to get them for us! I doubt mine will look this pristine next time you see it --- bc I intend to USE it! Thank you again!