Were enlistment bounties offered on the west coast?

SeaTurtle

Private
Did the practice of offering cash bonuses to guys for enlisting extend to the far-western states like California and Oregon? I know the outbreak of war enticed some new volunteers in those areas (although most remained stationed in their home states, with the exception of guys like the California Column sent to fight Confederates in Arizona and New Mexico) ... It would be interesting to know whether they received any cash incentives for volunteering like their counterparts on the east coast did. If so, I'd also be curious to know whether there were any reports of bounty jumpers on the west coast.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Good question - In general, bounties were offered at the local and state levels in case there weren't enough volunteers to meet the state quotas when "calls" for such volunteers were issued by the Federal Government. Since it's unlikely there would be any occasion to actually ship regiments from the Far Western states back East for the War, it seems unlikely there would've been much requirement for volunteers in the first place, so little reason needed to encourage them.

SeaTurtle

Private
Good point James N. Although I would point out that the California Column was sent all the way to Texas. I wonder if there's any way of finding out some of primary motivations behind those volunteers ... whether money had anything to do with it.