Wellington/Jackboots on Infantry units

Retired User BL

Retired User
Where there any USA infantry units that used long shaft boots like welligntons or jackboots as their main footwear?

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. The standard issue shoe for both sides, all branches, was the Brogan/Jefferson style shoes. I've actually never heard of any American boots referred to in that style. You'll see photos of officers and some cavalryman wearing high riding boots which would've been private purchase items.

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. The standard issue shoe for both sides, all branches, was the Brogan/Jefferson style shoes. I've actually never heard of any American boots referred to in that style. You'll see photos of officers and some cavalryman wearing high riding boots which would've been private purchase items.
There was a German heritage or volunteer group that wore long boots. I’m trying to figure out what unit that was and if any other units wore long styled boots for infantry.

Yes there were but they were generally private purchase items as they were considerably more expensive than the army shoe. About twice the cost IIRC.

I cannot recall the unit but it was one where the initial clothing issue was paid for by the individual that raised the Regiment.

I recall the reference to long boots, pantaloons and fine frocks under a stylish army dress hat. I’m tempted to say it was a western unit but do not recall the details.

Mounted men wore boots, so some Infantry men would have picked up a pair, of and on, but lace booties was the norn for enlisted foot troops regardless of ethic heritage.

Mounted men wore boots, so some Infantry men would have picked up a pair, of and on, but lace booties was the norn for enlisted foot troops regardless of ethic heritage.
Thanks on my other thread could you please send me the links to the threads you were talking about along with any additional details. Thanks

I will when I get home. I am on my smartphone and it is not so easy to use as my computer.

Where there any USA infantry units that used long shaft boots like welligntons or jackboots as their main footwear?

I assume your speaking of tall riding style boots (cavalry boots in one modern parlance)?

If so, from everything I've seen, no, most of the time even cavalry would get brogans instead of boots, so its unlikely infantry would get anything besides brogans as an issue item. Oh and yes I said cavalry got brogans like the infantry, (sorry @major bill I really don't like to contradict you), but more than a few cavalrymen privately bought some boots.

One comical incident was when two Pennsylvania cavalrymen, one Tom Smith and Sam Boyer, went to Washington to roam the streets and buy some boots. Among their day of getting robbed by local merchants, Smith got to admiring a nice new pair of boots by a stove, which were overpriced, one of the soles fell off, causing the two even more grief.

At the end of the day, boots were more expensive, to costly for cavalry in large numbers, (especially with manufacturers profiteering early on) and impractical for infantrymen. Its possible more than few privately bought pairs of boots over brogans, but it wasn't an issue item.

While not a Union account, here's one account of boots that may interest you, an excerpts from "Minutiae of Soldier life in the Army of Northern Virginia"

" The volunteer of 1861 made extensive preparations for the field. Boots, he thought, were an absolute necessity, and the heavier the soles and longer the tops the better. His pant were stuffed inside the tops of the boots, of course.------------- Experience soon demonstrated that boots were not agree able on a long march. They were heavy and irksome, and when the heels were worn a little one sided, the wearer would find his ankle twisted nearly out of every joint by every unevenness of the road. When thoroughly wet, it was a laborious undertaking to get them off, and worse to get them on in time for morning roll-call. And so, good, strong brogues or brogans, with wide bottoms and big, fat heels, succeeded the boots, and were found to be much more comfortable and agreeable, easier put on and off, and altogether the more sensible."

When looked at that way, I reckon more than a few cavalrymen would have followed that route. I personally love the big ole boots, but wearing them is uncomfortable for long periods, and I can attest that the author of that knew what he was talking about. I won't say "never" but I will say highly unlikely.

Wellington boot top right.
welling.jpg

Back