Welcoming home the 1st Michigan after 1st Bull Run in Detroit, 1861

chubachus

First Sergeant
1st michigan detroit.jpg

Large crowd gathers around a group of men in front of building under bunting on August 2, 1861 to welcome the return of the 1st Regiment after the Battle of Bull Run. Also have print from negative. Handwritten on back of print: "C.I. Walker addressing 3 months men on return from 1st enlistment. For a description of the return of the First Regiment see the Detroit Advertiser, August 3, 1861."

Source.

Animated stereoview version:

stereo794.gif

Source.

Thread was in the ' similar threads ' list under a question I'd posted about an event at Bull Run. This is cool stuff. Someone who knows a ton more than me would be able to say something intelligent about the short term enlistees at the battle. Remember Hartranft's story? His men's terms ran out like the day before and they went home- he was disgusted, attached himself to another regiment and fought.

Never came across an image of men coming home ( who fought? ) as early as 1861. Wonder how many turned around and re-enlisted? Guessing quite a few.

This is from 2015, better late than never seeing it, thank you!

What is that round looking thing on top of the roof on the right? Looks like a big floodlight, but it can't very well be that !
Good question, and it *might* be a floodlight - it looks like the ones mounted on locomotive engines and maybe was used for some reason in this public space for illumination.

I am quite interested in early war Michigan uniforms so I find these two images interesting.

Image one seems to show the members of the 1st Michigan unloading or perhaps after being dismissed. Note they wear canteens and other equipment.

Image two seems to show the soldiers in front of a reviewing stand surrounded by the crowd with three or more soldiers in back of the crowd. These I assume are Detroit militiamen providing crowd control. Note they do not wear any equipment. I am very keen on Detroit militia uniforms and it appears these men are wearing lighter colored uniforms than the soldiers in front of the reviewing stand. Could these be militia uniforms?

Good question, and it *might* be a floodlight - it looks like the ones mounted on locomotive engines and maybe was used for some reason in this public space for illumination.

Ok, never thought of that. I'm still looking for more images of DC's Grand illumination at war's end. It turned so swiftly into a city in mourning draped in black there doesn't seem to be many photos. The whole thing is covered incredibly well in newspapers though, now have to go back to see there's mention of these lights.

Back