Pickett Welcome to the New George E Pickett Forum!

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8452

Hello Everyone,

I welcome you to the George E Pickett forum, I am very happy to be hosting this forum and can not wait to see what people have to say about one of my favorite civil war generals, George Pickett, whether it be praiseworthy or critical.

I have always had an interest in General Pickett, he is one of my favorite civil war generals, and have always been intrigued in the ill fated charge that he is named after. I also learned I had four relatives that were under his command in Virginia Regiments.

I will be not only discussing the famous charge at Gettysburg, but other events about Pickett, including some background of him before the war, his first battles during the Peninsula Campaign, his controversies in North Carolina and Five Forks, and his personality

I hope you enjoy the forum and I can not wait to hear from you, and I hope y'all enjoy the new information I post up!

-Seth

8452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, already have some good articles and information ready for the month!

If you need help moving existing threads that should be in your forum, just put the links in a PM to me or Wolf and we'll make sure they get there. 7th Mississippi Infantry kept me busy for quite some time when we started the Forrest Forum. You'll be surprised where you find them!

If you need help moving existing threads that should be in your forum, just put the links in a PM to me or Wolf and we'll make sure they get there. 7th Mississippi Infantry kept me busy for quite some time when we started the Forrest Forum. You'll be surprised where you find them!

Thank you!, ill keep an eye out on other threads, the webmaster already set some things up and put some threads on in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone,

I welcome you to the George E Pickett forum, I am very happy to be hosting this forum and can not wait to see what people have to say about one of my favorite civil war generals, George Pickett, whether it be praiseworthy or critical.

I have always had an interest in General Pickett, he is one of my favorite civil war generals, and have always been intrigued in the ill fated charge that he is named after. I also learned I had four relatives that were under his command in Virginia Regiments.

I will be not only discussing the famous charge at Gettysburg, but other events about Pickett, including some background of him before the war, his first battles during the Peninsula Campaign, his controversies in North Carolina and Five Forks, and his personality

I hope you enjoy the forum and I can not wait to hear from you, and I hope y'all enjoy the new information I post up!

-Seth

View attachment 39428
I'm looking forward to this forum. Thanks for hosting!:thumbsup:

7th Mississippi Infantry kept me busy for quite some time when we started the Forrest Forum.
I'm not finished. :D

Thank you for accepting this challenge. Pickett, it has always seemed to me, has always been much maligned for simply doing his duty. I firmly believe he could not have done his duty better. I'm looking forward to this part of the forum.

I agree, he definitely gets a bad rep for something he was not responsible for. In My Opinion, after being absent for a long time after being wounded, i really don't think he should of been given a division, when he only had lead a brigade in 3 battles. He was a very good brigadier general, and if you read about his actions at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, and Gaines Mill, you will see he was a decent small level general.

I personally think his actions at Kinston were his anger and frustration getting the best of him, he was kind of a broken shell after Gettysburg. Five Forks just added to that misery.

Congratulations! This should be interesting - I know next to nothing about Pickett but he did start the Pig War up in Washington!

"Don't be afraid of their big guns" "We'll make a Bunker Hill out of it!" - George Pickett while commanding 68 men opposing a landing of 1,000 british soldiers on San Juan Island, Washington.

Congratulations on the new forum; now we have Lee, Jackson, Forrest, and Pickett representing engineers, artillery, cavalry, and infantry!

Congratulations on the new forum; now we have Lee, Jackson, Forrest, and Pickett representing engineers, artillery, cavalry, and infantry!

Now we need sharpshooters, medical, marines..... HAHA

Hello Everyone,

-Seth

View attachment 39428
Looks like I head to the library. Is there a standout biography that any of you "Pickettphiles" would recommend as a starter?

Looks like I head to the library. Is there a standout biography that any of you "Pickettphiles" would recommend as a starter?

I sure there are plenty of good books, articles of Pickett and of course Pickett's Charge.

Another Good source is reading the Virginia Regimental Series books, each regiment under Pickett, talks about their flamboyant Divisional General, and overall their view tends to be positive. But again those books do have a bias.

Back