Welcome to the Foods of the Civil War Forum!

Aiiyii! I left out a pretty important step in my fry bread recipe! I've added it in - Let RISE 1/2 hour before frying!

Best regards,
Limpid Lizard, Poohawk chef

Amazing what you can do with a little bit of nothing! :wink:

If you have bacon grease or pork handy you can do a lot of tasty cooking with very simple ingredients. Pork has so much flavor. You have to be wary of the salt in some varieties as it can be overwhelming (had some issues with salt pork before.) Beef is bland by comparison (heresy, since I grew up in a beef producing region of the country. :frown: Was great when I was a boy and a picky eater.)

I'm warming to lamb and goat for the same reason...I'm thinking the meat goat is the answer to raising livestock in the rougher stretches of the Ozarks; I see some near where I grew up when I travel through. And I love making spicy Mexican recipes...or Indian (as in East Indian) or North African/Mediterranean. Of course, venison has a lot of flavor, too...

Recently I managed to get internet again and what a delightful find at this old haunt. Thank you!

Thanks Mike for the introduction. I really look forward to hosting this forum and sharing what I know and learning from what all other members know.

Look forward to some great recipes and some "good eating".
This fourm is great/// Thanks for doing such a wonderful job with it!

I want to share a verse about cooks that I feel should be the part of this forum.

"We may live without poetry, music and art;
We may live without conscience, and live without heart;
We may live without friends; we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks."

By Edward Robert Bulwer-Lytton.

This is suppose to be a welcome thread. I really think if we discuss measurements and nutrition it should be in its own thread.

Would like to know what Ami and Mike think. I am just host of this forum and need their input.

Thanks.

Just stumbled on this site trying to find an authentic Mayonnaise recipe. I am kinda frightened of the warning disclaimer in the Pre-1800 digitized recipes. I will add as I find more.
Digitized Cookbooks
Savoring The Past

So this book I found on Savoring The Past is from 1838 and has a lovely measurement chart that could possibly help demystify some of the recipes elsewhere. The Good Housekeeper

Last edited:
Back