Collection Wedding Bands dug from civil war campsites in Mississippi

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
rings.JPG

One fact is for sure....Rings fall off fingers.
Especially when you march all the time and are malnurished. Weight is lost and it becomes harder to maintain jewelry on the fingers.
This is the logic I'm using when I've dug these gold plated brass wedding bands in civil war camps.
These are so interesting to me because they are personal artifacts and ones that probably were not intended to be discarded in the camp like other relics that we find.
You can still see the remaining gold plate on some of these specimens pictured.
gold plated ring.JPG

Now here's an exception.
This woman's wedding band shows a high degree of decoration and has retained 95%+ of its original gold plating.
It fits my 18 year old daughter's hand perfectly, so I know where this ring will end up when I'm gone. lol
I can only imagine a soldier bringing his wife's ring with him to war as a keepsake of his love back home. You never know.
That's what I love about finding these relics from the war years. It allows us to guess and speculate and share these tangibles from some of the darkest days in our nation's history.

View attachment 352509
Especially when you march all the time and are malnurished. Weight is lost and it becomes harder to maintain jewelry on the fingers.
This is the logic I'm using when I've dug these gold plated brass wedding bands in civil war camps.
These are so interesting to me because they are personal artifacts and ones that probably were not intended to be discarded in the camp like other relics that we find.
View attachment 352511
Now here's an exception.
This woman's wedding band shows a high degree of decoration and has retained 95%+ of its original gold plating.
It fits my 18 year old daughter's hand perfectly, so I know where this ring will end up when I'm gone. lol
I can only imagine a soldier bringing his wife's ring with him to war as a keepsake of his love back home. You never know.
That's what I love about finding these relics from the war years. It allows us to guess and speculate and share these tangibles from some of the darkest days in our nation's history.
Give your daughter the ring now, so that she has good memories from it.

View attachment 352509
View attachment 352511
Now here's an exception.
Fantastic subject !

That's a find I would have never thought about.

Bullets, buttons, buckles, ect.

But a loved one's wedding band ?
Such finds really do make one pause . . . and think about the conditions these men & boys were experiencing on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Back