Announcement: Webmaster & Lady having Computer Trouble

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
16D6901C-6486-473D-919E-B3C028F0B0FC-1639-000001D78898AC9C.jpeg

Ami and I have had a tough computer week, our PC for doing everyday maintenance on CivilWarTalk crashed on Tuesday. We decided to replace that machine with a new one, and it was delivered today... dead on arrival...

So if there are a few things missing, or a bit different than normal, please excuse us! We are working on getting things back to normal!

Hopefully we can find yet another computer that meets our needs soon, but it may be as long as two weeks now... need to get refund from returned computer before we order another new one...

Webmaster problems....

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

8thFlorida

Sergeant
View attachment 157973

Ami and I have had a tough computer week, our PC for doing everyday maintenance on CivilWarTalk crashed on Tuesday. We decided to replace that machine with a new one, and it was delivered today... dead on arrival...

So if there are a few things missing, or a bit different than normal, please excuse us! We are working on getting things back to normal!

Hopefully we can find yet another computer that meets our needs soon, but it may be as long as two weeks now... need to get refund from returned computer before we order another new one...

Webmaster problems....
It's been rough for FL and TX as well. Thanks for the update. No modern references

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
What computer did you get? I am an electronics guy.
It is a Lenovo Desktop, it is an out of box failure, maybe a bad power supply. The power light flashes once, the cpu fan starts to spin, and then it acts like a dead dog.

Of couse it is not a standard power connector, so my spare plugs and stuff can't be used to fix it.

Already packed it up to return. Should have ordered an Apple computer....

shermans_march

First Sergeant
It is a Lenovo Desktop, it is an out of box failure, maybe a bad power supply. The power light flashes once, the cpu fan starts to spin, and then it acts like a dead dog.

Of couse it is not a standard power connector, so my spare plugs and stuff can't be used to fix it.

Already packed it up to return. Should have ordered an Apple computer....
I haven't bought a Lenovo, but I have had very bad experiences with HP and Dell. One Dell died within 40 days of buying it, right after the warranty expired. They wont replace it after that, but will repair it. They pretty much put a band-aid on it, fixing it just enough to make it work for another couple months. Repeat a few times and then the repair warranty is up too. It still works but if I try to use the power cable to charge it the screen goes black.

I have an Apple and am very happy with it. They are more expensive but worth it. They are, however, getting into a bad habit of not making anything but the ram user-replaceable. That is why I turned to Ebay and bought one of the older Mac Pro Towers. 8 core processor, 32gb of Ram. I put in a different graphics card and got an additional 2 hard drives. One an SSD and the other for Backup. The only problem is that I can't upgrade the OS beyond El Capitan which might be a problem a few years down the road when I need critical software that isn't supported anymore.

Apple is a good choice because of the hardware (might not be the most powerful but lasts a long time) and the OS. I am just not a big fan of Windows 10. The start menu and the system preferences is very unintuitive. I spent 5 years selling electronics in retail and got a lot of good information and some interesting stories from people.

Last edited:

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
We have Macs here at home for " power lifting" and ipads for power browsing, texting, phone calls. I mostly do stuff on the ipad, which is why sometimes it looks like I am drunk texting...when I am not. #touchtypistwoes"

MattL

2nd Lieutenant
Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than DOA anything electronic. My sympathies go out.

The last time my wife and I rebuilt our PCs her Motherboard was DOA, of course it only made it worse that mine worked just fine to contrast her disappointment lol. Fortunately we ordered it on Amazon and on a lot of things they do double ship returns, where they'll immediately send you the replacement and then you have 14 days to return the original item, since we have prime free 2 day shipping her new MB got here in 2 days well before she packaged and sent her old one back.

Macs are definitely good for web related work, especially if you have to do any server related stuff due to the Unix kernel. I use one for work for mobile game dev and web dev (I manage our cluster deployment technologies so lots of ssh'ing into linux boxes etc). Though I used to do 3D engine desktop and console work and that is solely on Windows.

I'm a PC gamer so Windows is the only option for my home rig, just got a new 1080 ti GPU and can crank everything to the highest settings at 1440p, really bringing life into some games I already had.

Having a DOA computer out of the box from a company like Lenovo definitely is really bad quality control. Any computer (even macs I've had and worked with) can have faulty hardware that dies X days after you use it (macs now just use standard PC hardware so nothing really different there), though basic quality control *should* catch your scenario. I'd write a complaint e-mail to them see if you can milk something extra out of it for that reason.

Some of the difference people see in Windows vs Macs is Macs don't really offer lower end computers, so they are mostly mid to higher end (though not the highest, for example you can't get an iMac with the 1080 ti I just got)... part of how other manufacturers lower the costs is unfortunately quality control =/ With that said if you get a premium computer said companies they often have higher quality control on those products, so it's almost like buying from different companies. You can get a more powerful computer for the same price that is non-Mac though often people compare Macs which are mid to high end to a Windows PC manufacturer's low end computers and naturally with any sort of product you'll see differences for the different price ranges.

This is why I still adhere to the rule of building my own computers. Often the parts in manufacturers computers are inferior and/or OEM parts to what you'll buy individually (including Macs) and you of course pay a premium for it. I totally get why people don't always do that though, sometimes the time's not worth it or for a specific machine it might not be worth it, etc.

shermans_march

First Sergeant
You can get a more powerful computer for the same price that is non-Mac though often people compare Macs which are mid to high end to a Windows PC manufacturer's low end computers and naturally with any sort of product you'll see differences for the different price ranges.
I hear this often. Then again $300-400 computers will last them 6-12 months and in the end they spend just as much money in the long run to equal the life of a mac computer.
Have you ever thought of building hackintoshes? I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 SCC in my Mac Pro which probably looks comical compared to the 1080 ti.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!