Impressions Weapons of the Civil War: The Spencer Carbine

I'm sorry to say I can't see your video. The dialog box says it's not available.

Oddly enough, I was just watching one of R. Lee Ermy's comparison videos. This one was between the Spencer carbine and the Henry rifle. Well, I guess the Henry was a bit better in sheer speed and ease, but not in what I call "throw weight." The Spencer definitely packed more sheer punching power, in fewer rounds, but with a slower load, cock and fire each round. I think reload time might have been about equal between the two.

Last edited:
The Spencer is one of my favorite CW repeaters. I think it comes from all the Spencer shells we dug in Gen Wilson's winter camp here in Alabama. Here my favorite one of 3 I have in my personnel collection because it was found in a barn in Centerville Alabama and I acquired it from the finders Grandson. The serial # shows it was from a unit in Gen Upton's division that was in Centerville. Its in rough condition but has a great Alabama history.
DSCN6593.JPG

A number of Union Cavalry units were issued Spencer Rifles because the demand for Spencer Carbines outpaced production.

I'm sorry to say I can't see your video. The dialog box says it's not available.

Oddly enough, I was just watching one of R. Lee Ermy's comparison videos. This one was between the Spencer carbine and the Henry rifle. Well, I guess the Henry was a bit better in sheer speed and ease, but not in what I call "throw weight." The Spencer definitely packed more sheer punching power, in fewer rounds, but with a slower load, cock and fire each round. I think reload time might have been about equal between the two.

Sorry @Patrick H. I don't know what happened. Perhaps it was taken off youtube. I watched it before I posted the thread.

A number of Union Cavalry units were issued Spencer Rifles because the demand for Spencer Carbines outpaced production.

Ive been waiting to see photos of your newly acquired Spencer rifle. :D I guess I will get to see and hold it at the Oct 13 & 14 Alabama Gun Collectors Association show at the Finley center at the Hoover Met complex.

Ive been waiting to see photos of your newly acquired Spencer rifle. :D I guess I will get to see and hold it at the Oct 13 & 14 Alabama Gun Collectors Association show at the Finley center at the Hoover Met complex.
It will be there as whatever gifts that I may have, photography is not one of them (I'm still working on mastering a flip phone).

Last edited:
Back