Impressions Weapons of the Civil War Cavalry: The Sharps Carbine

Yes, excellent video. I am glad the producer admonished shooters to blow off that excess powder from the breech if the sheared off cartridge left any exposed. I am not sure the original cartridges did that. I have owned and fired several versions of the Sharps and it is an impressive arm. I always had difficulty with making the cartridges for them, that is getting the nitrated paper to stay intact in the loading process. I don't think that was a big problem in the war. Those war time cartridges were of a glued, stiff, nitrated linen that loaded easily and stayed intact when handled. I do understand that, on occasion, some of the nitrated paper or linen remained in the chamber and that blowing on the open breech was a good idea to get any embers out of it before closing the breech. Thanks for posting that video.

I wonder why the Smith Carbine isnt listed in their charts. If memory serves me, I believe the Smith was the 4th most issued carbine? I know there is documentation where the war department puchased 10,000 Smith's, and the Smithsonian says the gov. eventually purchased 30,000.

Yes, excellent video. I am glad the producer admonished shooters to blow off that excess powder from the breech if the sheared off cartridge left any exposed. I am not sure the original cartridges did that. I have owned and fired several versions of the Sharps and it is an impressive arm. I always had difficulty with making the cartridges for them, that is getting the nitrated paper to stay intact in the loading process. I don't think that was a big problem in the war. Those war time cartridges were of a glued, stiff, nitrated linen that loaded easily and stayed intact when handled. I do understand that, on occasion, some of the nitrated paper or linen remained in the chamber and that blowing on the open breech was a good idea to get any embers out of it before closing the breech. Thanks for posting that video.
I to had that problem don't know what bullet/mold you use but I wrap and tie thread at the base

Back