Discussion Weapons In R&D At The End Of The Civil War "The Orazio Lugo Artillery Shell" Can Anyone Explain How It Works?

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Doing some research I came across some interesting weapons that were issued patents and under going R&D at the end of the CW. Here is a very unusually artillery shell invented by Orazio Lugo. I have read the patent papers 5 times and still can't figure out how this works, if it works or even the reason for the shell. Also, could an artillery crew be trained to load this contraption safely and I'm sure it cut way down on the rate of fire. Can anyone one explain how this works.

1588886450079.png

1588886534726.png

1588886621230.png

I only have 2 questions How and Why????

My physics is kind of rusty, but the shaped charge on the nose of the projectile will create a vacuum enabling the projectile to travel faster down the tube. The rest of this creature makes no sense at all unless, with the front charge pulling and the rear charge pushing maybe the idea was to increase the range/speed of the round. As it would require a tube different from a conventional/common gun, it would think that the cost would be prohibitive.

Last edited:
My physics is kind of rusty, but the shaped charge on the nose of the projectile will create a vacuum enabling the projectile to travel faster down the tube. The rest of this creature makes no sense at all.
The lanyard thru the round and back to the fuse hole at the breach blows my mind as how that would work.

The lanyard thru the round and back to the fuse hole at the breach blows my mind as how that would work.
I would think that it would bind at the tube's mouth, that is; unless you were standing in front of the tube. :banghead:

Last edited:
My first thought: What happens when you pull the lanyard, hear POP and nothing happens or the lanyard breaks? that would make for a very interesting misfire drill... and how to you extract the round when the primer fails ( and they will fail). Or even worse, if while removing the rammer the cord tangles and sets off the primer...not a good day for #1 on the gun. and Firing by throwing a fuse down the bore...whoever does that will not be in a good place when it goes off ( IF it even goes off)

Last edited:
My first thought: What happens when you pull the lanyard, hear POP and nothing happens or the lanyard breaks? that would make for a very interesting misfire drill... and how to you extract the round when the primer fails ( and they will fail). Or even worse, if while removing the rammer the cord tangles and sets off the primer...not a good day for #1 on the gun. and Firing by throwing a fuse down the bore...whoever does that will not be in a good place when it goes off ( IF it even goes off)
It does look like it would be dangerous to load but my main question was why was it even needed????

I would imagine that there was a large number of rather strange inventions patented during this time period that never made it to production and some that did.

I still have a nagging question WHY

In pursuit of the almighty dollar via a fat government contract.
Let me rephrase. What was the theory behind putting a charge in front of the round???????

Let me rephrase. What was the theory behind putting a charge in front of the round???????
In theory, the disk (shaped) charge in the front of the round would ignite, explode and create a vacuum in the tube. In theory, when the rear charge ignited (pushing the projectile forward) the vacuum in the tube would allow the round to travel faster down the tube causing the round to possibly travel faster/further (?) . As I said, my physics is rather rusty and I didn't do very well in the class any way. :thumbsdown: Smoke and mirrors at it's best.

If you think that this gun/round was a strange bird, then you'll really like Major E.B. Hunt's Civil War Rocket Torpedo. A quick overview is that Hunt was a Army Engineer and his invention consisted basically of an underwater cannon and an explosive projectile which would have been basically an unpowered projectile resembling a modern torpedo. This project had reached full sized field experiments before Hunt's death in 1863 and as Hunt was very protective of his invention, he carried much of the project's information to the grave with him.

I think it is a fire bomb. I ran across Hooker and Lincoln discussing something used for burning camps. I will have more to post about this tomorrow.

Major General Hooker

If you can show me a trial of the incendiary shells on Saturday night,
I will try to join you at 5pm that day. Answer.

A. Lincoln
-------------------------------------------------
June 12
His Excellency the President:

At the time of my reply to your telegram of today, I supposed that this was Thursday and not Friday. It will give me great pleasure to have the gun on exhibition at 5 pm tomorrow. I have some good targets in the shape of rebel camps which the gun will enfilade.

Joseph Hooker
Major General

XXXIX

They agreed to cancel this meeting for unstated reasons.

Last edited:
Back