'we Became Quite Friendly With The Enemy's Pickets ... And Used To Talk With Them And Exchange Newspapers'

A. Roy

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I just finished reading the memoirs of Sgt Berry G. Benson (1st SC), and noted these remembrances from the winter of 1862-1863, when Benson's unit was assigned picket duty several miles downstream from Fredericksburg:

BerryBenson_PhotogHistCW_1911_Crop.jpg
"We picketed the Rappahannock at Moss Neck Church, one's turn to picket coming every few days, 24 hours being the term. We became quite friendly with the enemy's pickets posted on the opposite side, and used to talk with them and exchange newspapers. The exchange was made by taking a piece of board or bark, fixing a stick upright in it as a mast, with the paper attached to this as a sail. By setting the sail properly, the wind would carry it across from one side to the other, as it was wanted to go. Once a Federal band came down the river and played 'Dixie.' We cheered them vociferously, of course. Then it played 'Yankee Doodle,' and the enemy cheered. Then 'Home, Sweet Home,' and the cheer went up loud and long from both sides of the river."

(Berry G. Benson; Susan Williams Benson, ed. Berry Benson's Civil War Book: Memoirs of a Confederate Scout and Sharpshooter. Athens and London: University of Georgia Press. 1991. Page 35.)

(Photo: Berry Benson. Photographic History of the Civil War, 1911. Via Wikimedia Commons.)

Roy B.

I just finished reading the memoirs of Sgt Berry G. Benson (1st SC), and noted these remembrances from the winter of 1862-1863, when Benson's unit was assigned picket duty several miles downstream from Fredericksburg:

View attachment 382795"We picketed the Rappahannock at Moss Neck Church, one's turn to picket coming every few days, 24 hours being the term. We became quite friendly with the enemy's pickets posted on the opposite side, and used to talk with them and exchange newspapers. The exchange was made by taking a piece of board or bark, fixing a stick upright in it as a mast, with the paper attached to this as a sail. By setting the sail properly, the wind would carry it across from one side to the other, as it was wanted to go. Once a Federal band came down the river and played 'Dixie.' We cheered them vociferously, of course. Then it played 'Yankee Doodle,' and the enemy cheered. Then 'Home, Sweet Home,' and the cheer went up loud and long from both sides of the river."

(Berry G. Benson; Susan Williams Benson, ed. Berry Benson's Civil War Book: Memoirs of a Confederate Scout and Sharpshooter. Athens and London: University of Georgia Press. 1991. Page 35.)

(Photo: Berry Benson. Photographic History of the Civil War, 1911. Via Wikimedia Commons.)

Roy B.
Great story. Have read similar stories about this type of "trading" for years. I find it amazing that a small piece of bark and a tiny sail could make it across a river with the current going sideways against it. That is some sailing !

View attachment 382795"We picketed the Rappahannock at Moss Neck Church, one's turn to picket coming every few days, 24 hours being the term. We became quite friendly with the enemy's pickets posted on the opposite side, and used to talk with them and exchange newspapers. The exchange was made by taking a piece of board or bark, fixing a stick upright in it as a mast, with the paper attached to this as a sail. By setting the sail properly, the wind would carry it across from one side to the other, as it was wanted to go. Once a Federal band came down the river and played 'Dixie.' We cheered them vociferously, of course. Then it played 'Yankee Doodle,' and the enemy cheered. Then 'Home, Sweet Home,' and the cheer went up loud and long from both sides of the river."

Roy B.
Thanks Roy - Just yesterday I moved one of CW prints to the basement and brought up stairs Kuntslers My Friend the Enemy.
Moss Neck is about 9 miles from Fredericksburg and the river is only about 350 feet across at that point; with lots of twists and turns. Jackson’s winter Hq was about 2 miles south of the river. I am an old relic hunter and can attest to the many beautiful and bountiful items dug there ( back in the day before the military put and end to relic hunting on their property Fort AP Hill)
Here’s a google earth snapshot of the river at Moss Neck

6B729B25-43B6-4D38-AF36-C2214A70405F.jpeg

There were instances, such as at Chattanooga when Thomas had to order his subordinates to enforce a strict policy against fraternizing.
It reflects on the copious reports from scouts and spies that would infiltrate and learn enemy strengths, and brigade names.
Lubliner.

Back