We All Need Somebody To Lean On; Furred, Feathered And Less Fluffy Love

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
petts 11.jpg

Absurd and endearing, this hand's down favorite image of a little girl cuddling her pet chicken is better, all by itself, than any four hours in a therapist's office.

With apologies to @amweiner although suspect he'd write a prescription- " One chicken, Hug hourly ".

We go see Sally every, single visit to Gettysburg. Arguably the war's most famous canine she's at least Gettysburg's most beloved. Dad's great grandmother lost an uncle, David Adam fighting with the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg. Sally makes me smile, thinking he knew her and she's always a topic- some visitor eager to share knowledge will, 100% of the time, buttonhole us and relate Sally's story. We always listen, little rude not to.

Dogs we have a'plenty. And we adore them- I'm finding it did not matter which 4 legged or 2 winged friend we shared space with. They're all panting, pecking, meowing, chirping love.

petts 13.jpg

Please get a good look at this ewe's face? I'd hang out with her, too.

Sally's a symbol, the ultimate symbol as is war. Kinda- divine love as a bottom line despite the worst, hand's down barbarity life can hand you. Dogs have been our stand-in for a good reassurance we're deserving of a hug from the universe. Finding other friends our ancestors hung out with. Say what you will about cats, bunnies, sheep, donkeys and well- animals, dogs in disguise.

petts 4.jpg

Cat, as ever, a little disinterested- little girl cuddling cat? Smiling. It's an era photograph complete with far too many brass buttons on a boy's jacket. War is out there.

pett deer.JPG

150 years ago, an uneaten deer was a cherished pet.

petts 7.jpg

You could get awfully attached to these fine young citizens, too

pett1.jpg

He's a cat guy. That's a happy cat.

petts may pet dove.jpg

She is the pet lover who intrigued me into a thread.

petts 15.jpg

Isn't he wonderful? Smitten.

petts bird.jpg

These faces, people with their buddies, say so much for the places held in their lives by these pets.

petts bird3.jpg
petts ct.jpg

We have ' hidden mother ' photographs of cats- Mark Twain adored cats and had more than anyone thought normal. If cats were good enough for Twain, must be pretty sterling buddies.

petts rab.jpg

Few ' bunny ' photos, this is a huge favorite.

Following are not era- just so wonderful they had to be shared.

BEST EVER DOG - BOY PHOTO ANYWHERE, and also blows the theme here of ' pets others than dogs-
petts dog banjo.jpg

petts ele.jpg

BFF's. You'd need a heck of a litter box but you'd try anyway.

petts pig.jpg

This ended poorly, no?

petts ch.jpg

We must look into chickens as buddies - they seem popular!

Sorry- found on Pinterest, like a few of these....
petts chickn cig.jpg

Who is teaching who to smoke?

Attachments

• petts 12.jpg
    petts 12.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 122
  • petts chickn cig.jpg
    petts chickn cig.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 113
From laughter to scratching my head in wonder, what a wonderful way to start my morning!
Great, great pictures!

Bwahaha! The wnglish saddle on the hog..oh my. Niether of the subjects look happy. I also love, love looking at the fashion and fabric in the pictures. No plaid too big to wear. :smile: along with the gentleman and his nicely tied cravat.

3a91f4066e80672d87a084d534c05d55.jpg

If only they could be litterbox-trained, chickens would make wonderful house-pets!
I could be happy with a chicken under my arm.:smile:

BTW: YouTube has a whole slew of videos instructing "How to Hold a Chicken." Might come in handy!

Last edited:
We go see Sally every, single visit to Gettysburg. Arguably the war's most famous canine she's at least Gettysburg's most beloved. Dad's great grandmother lost an uncle, David Adam fighting with the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg. Sally makes me smile, thinking he knew her and she's always a topic- some visitor eager to share knowledge will, 100% of the time, buttonhole us and relate Sally's story. We always listen, little rude not to.

You find the best photos, @JPK Huson 1863, as always! I recall seeing your ancestor David Adam listed among the 11th Pennsylvania's casualties from the first day at Gettysburg, which suggests he was left behind on Oak Ridge when the regiment retreated to Cemetery Ridge. It's possible that he not only knew Sallie but was also one of the soldiers she guarded during her long vigil.

Back