WBtS Game Archives

1945 was the year. Once again, may I ask you to update my score. I was not credited the point for my answer on tuesday, June 26. I should have 13 points before today, not 12. Please adjust.

RaggedRebel

Sorry About that RaggedRebel, I must take the blame for my mistake on Wednesday morning, and for not fully reading your answer to yesterday's question. I'll do my best keep score more accurately from now on.

Thanks Ami for Fixing my goof up.

Mike

1945, With a larger celebration in 1947 attended by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

We had interesting results from yesterday's question. I'm glad to see everybody at least tried to answer the question. Congrats to RaggedRebel, you surpassed Belle, and in this game that is quite a feat, however SgtAbj is still pounding away at the lead.

The Hungarian born Union general, Alexander Asboth, was wounded at Pea Ridge. What was the name of his faithful companion who had accompanied him into battle?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

17 SgtAbj *
15 RaggedRebel *
14 BelleTraveler
13 Crowbar *
08 ConnYankee
05 Gwagner

* Answered Yesterday's Question Correctly...

Happy Saturday. It's off to Gettysburg for me, my wife and I are taking a day trip. Not to worry, trivia will be here tomorrow too. Hope you are doing okay Belle, I didn't get an answer from her yesterday, and that's unusual.

The forces of General Grant that surrounded Fort Donelson numbered about 40,000. How many Confederate soldiers manned the fort?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

18 SgtAbj *
16 RaggedRebel *
14 BelleTraveler
14 Crowbar *
09 ConnYankee *
05 Gwagner

>> I really don't know how to answer this because I have different figures to go by, So I'll put what I read out of my books, It says the Union had 27,000 Engaged and the Confederate had 21,000and then it has that the Confederate had less than 15,000 so I don't know which one is right or not.

Mike, This really opens up a "can of worms", because numbers vary greatly depending upon source. I took this directly from Gen. Grant's battle report. There is no way of us players knowing what source you are using (with all due respect, of course!). Grant said this: "The actual number of Confederates at Fort Donelson can never be given with entire accuracy. The largest number admitted by any writer on the Southern side, is by Colonel Preston Johnston. He gives the number at 17,000. But this must be an under-estimate. The commissary general of prisoners reported having issued rations to 14,623 Fort Donelson prisoners at Cairo, as they passed that point. General Pillow reported the killed and wounded at 2,000; but he had less opportunity of knowing the actual numbers than the officers of McClernand's division, for most of the killed and wounded fell outside their works, in front of that division, and were buried or cared for by Buckner after the surrender and when Pillow was a fugitive. It is known that Floyd and Pillow escaped during the night of the 15th, taking with them not less than 3,000 men. Forrest escaped with about 1,000 and others were leaving singly and in squads all night. It is probable that the Confederate force at Donelson, on the 15th of February, 1862, was 21,000 in round numbers." I will send you the link to this page in a separate e-mail.
Respectfully, RaggedRebel

Hope you have a great time at Gettysburg!!!
Ahhhh...The numbers game...LOL...This is one of those Q's where one is only as good as his/her sources....After checking no fewer that 15 sources, I have come up with numbers from 12,000 to 21,000...
The 12,000 probably refers to just the number garrisoned there....
Here is a sampling of what I found:
Confederate Military History....12,000 to 14,500
Grant in his memoirs....21,000
Lew Wallace.....18,000
Foote....17,500
LOL Have fun, Mike!!

The Federals captured from 12,000-15,000 prisoners from the Fort and Confederate losses were more than 450 killed and 1,500 wounded making the total number of soldiers who manned the fort at between 14,000-17,000 men.

Belle

Hello everyone, I had a great time at Gettysburg yesterday. Got to play tour director for my wife while we drove all over the battlefield. Also bought a few new books, and a really awsome print by Dale Gallon called "Fairwell Rose".

Okay, back to the trivia. For yesterday's question I switched back to an older trivia book, and it seems like every time I use it, we end up with a controversial question. Today it goes back on the bookshelf where it shall stay. Everyone who answered the question was scored a point.

Cause it's Sunday, I'll give you 2 points for answering this question correctly. Here is today's question:

What was Jefferson Davis doing when news of his election arrived?

19 SgtAbj *
17 RaggedRebel *
15 BelleTraveler *
15 Crowbar *
10 ConnYankee *
05 Gwagner

PS: This trivia game is open to new players, you may join at any time. To register to play, please click the "User Profile" button in the toolbar below, and then choose "Instant Registration". Follow the prompts and you when you finish you will be able to post your answer. Thanks!

He was at his plantation, Briarfield, near Vicksburg, MS. He and Mrs. Davis were in the garden trimming a rose bush.....Evidently even future presidents cannot avoid "Honey, do's"....

He and his wife were pruning the rosebushes in their garden.

Ragged
proud.gif
)

Davis was at Brierfield Plantation, working in the rose garden with wife Varina, when word arrived that he had been elected president.

Back