WBtS Game Archives

No short answer to this one! Get comfortable....
It's the heart of Missouri, blooded of three,
Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.
It's a tall spare man on a bluegrass hoss,
It's sugar-cured ham without raisin sauce.
It's coon-dog, coon, persimmon tree,
It's a son or brother named Robert E. Lee.

In other terms, it's the very essence of the old south- "More Dixie than Dixie". The physical boundaries are always in dispute but it is referred to in 3 categories
sad.gif
1) Heart of Little Dixie: Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Howard, Monroe and Randolph counties. (2) Outer Little Dixie: Carroll, Chariton, Cooper, Lafayette, Ralls, Pike and Saline counties. and...(3) Border Little Dixie: Clay (home of the James boys), Cole, Jackson, Lewis, Lincoln, Macon, Marion, Moniteau, Pike, Platte and Ray counties.

Unreconstructed, it rares and bites,
At touch of a rein that would curb it's rights.
It's "Come in stranger, draw up a chair",
there ain't no hurry, we'll all get there!!!!
RaggedRebel

The "Little Dixie" I am thinking of is an area north and west of St. Louis, along the Missouri River Valley in the heart of the state. It was settled by folks mainly from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia.

Happy Monday!

Check out the two new articles posted last night, we have links on the homepage as well as the Contributed Articles index. Some interesting reading....

What U.S. Senator had the agony of seeing two sons as Civil War generals on opposing sides?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

12 SgtAbj *
11 BelleTraveler *
10 RaggedRebel *
09 Crowbar *
05 Gwagner *
05 ConnYankee *

* Answered Yesterday's Question Correctly...
** Yesterday was a two point question.

That would have to be John Crittenden, whose sons ,Thomas and George, fought for both sides of the Late Unpleasentness.

Be sure to read my post in Campfire chat if you haven't already: Need some help here, any Volunteers?

http://civilwartalk.com/cwt_main/bbs/messages/1/253.html?993508772

Here is your trivia question:

What athletic feat did Adam Rankin Johnson perform to elude Federal capture in Ohio?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

13 SgtAbj *
12 BelleTraveler *
11 RaggedRebel *
10 Crowbar *
06 ConnYankee *
05 Gwagner

Johnson escaped capture during Morgan's Ohio raid on July 19, BY SWIMMING ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER.

Here is today's trivia question:

What was the rank of an artillery gunner?

14 SgtAbj *
13 BelleTraveler *
11 RaggedRebel *
11 Crowbar *
07 ConnYankee *
05 Gwagner

He was usually a corporal. AND!!!!!! Please credit me my point from yesterday's correct answer. Yer makin' me look bad, here!

RaggedRebel
proud.gif
)

Happy Thursday! Got a long question for you today, and if you get it correct, I'll give you 2 points!

Even as Lee was withdrawing his army on July 4th, 1863, General Pemberton was surrendering Vicksburg to Grant. The people of the city were on the verge of starvation, the Union bombardment continued anabated, and there was no choice but to surrender. How long would it be before the citizens of Vicksburg, Mississippi, celebrated Independence Day again? (I'm looking for a specific year)

15 SgtAbj *
14 BelleTraveler *
13 RaggedRebel *
11 Crowbar
08 ConnYankee *
05 Gwagner

edited by Ami to change raggedrebles score to the correct score since he answered Tuesdays question correctly, but was never given credit.

Back