WBtS Game Archives

Well, I'm 5 ticks behind now and I didn't really care for the old system either. T'heck with double points
happy.gif

Well, it looks like the voting is 1 to keep the old system, and 3 to set things for one point per question. I'll keep an eye on this question to see what else you all think.

Ragged, I'm doing my best to get back in a rythym of posting every morning, and I'm managing now. Of course you have to understand I sometimes sleep in a bit on Saturdays, and it has been a month or more since I was on this schedule.

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that I'll do my best to keep things going in a timely manner, without hiccups. Give me a week and you'll forget that we even ever had a problem with getting questions posted.

------------------------------------------

Okay, so here is a new problem/question. Belle, and now ABJ almost always get every question correct. Now I might have to make the questions harder. Beyond that, how can we play this game in such a way that other players have a chance to catch the leaders of the game? That was my intention with the double points rule we used to use. People who joined the game late could catch up, but it caused a bottleneck 5 points below the leader of the game.

Oh well, I'm just rambling now. Think about what I said, and if you get a headache forget it
happy.gif
Otherwise, send me your suggestions.

Mike @ CWT

Looking good now, things are running more smoothly. Now we just need to recruit a whole lot more players.

Before the breakaway territory within Virginia took the name West Virginia, what was the name of the region?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

8 SgtAbj *
7 BelleTraveler *
6 RaggedRebel *
6 Crowbar *
2 ConnYankee
2 Gwagner

* Answered Yesterday's Question Correctly...

I also don't think that points should be doubled-if someone joins the game late-there's always next time and it's just for fun anyway, right?!

Belle

Restored Government Virginia, or Kanawha. On Nov 26th, 1861 The name West Virginia was adopted

Followup: Persnonally, I don't give a hoot whether I get something right or wrong. I do my homework as best I can. At 50 years old, I've found something interesting in the American Civil War that will probably keep me interested for the rest of my life. You can bet your boots that I didn't learn many of these things in school. I have a profound and astute appreciation for those who get it right. We should all be given college degrees for what we know. Just my $.02 (and a couple of beers)
happy.gif

Ami, my wife, has started a new weekly questionare, so please visit the Campfire Chat Message Board when you get a free moment, or visit directly using this link:

http://civilwartalk.com/cwt_main/bbs/messages/1/229.html?993260632

I wanted to say thanks for all the input on the Trivia Game scoring issue. For now I'm going to keep it simple, 1 question, 1 point. Except maybe Sundays, where I might ask a two point question. My wife and I discussed a few other options, and maybe in the future we can take a look at them too.

Here is today's question:

What general referred to his wife as "Mrs. Brown" (though his name wasn't Brown)?

You have till tomorrow morning to answer this question. Here are the scores after the last question:

9 SgtAbj *
8 BelleTraveler *
7 RaggedRebel *
7 Crowbar *
3 Gwagner *
2 ConnYankee

What was "Little Dixie"?

Because it's Sunday, this question is worth 2 points.

10 SgtAbj *
09 BelleTraveler *
08 RaggedRebel *
07 Crowbar
03 Gwagner
03 ConnYankee *

** Sorry Crow, sorry ConnYankee, I guess I was asleep this morning when I first did the scoring. All fixed now.

In general, "Little Dixie" was an area in Missouri that was loyal to the Confederacy and is still considered by some to be very "Southern". Located in the Missouri Valley heartland, the exact boundaries don't seem to be too clear. Six counties are recognized as the "heart" of "Little Dixie", while seven others are considered as "outer Little Dixie". At one time or another eleven other counties were considered to be a part of "Little Dixie".

LITTLE DIXIE It's the heart of Missouri, blooded of three, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. It's a tall spare man on a blue-grass hoss. It's sugar-cured ham without raisin sauce. It's coon dog, coon, persimmon tree. It's son or brother named Robert E. Lee. It's tiger stalking a jay-hawk bird. It's the best hog-calling that ever you heard. It's fiddler fiddlin' you out of your seat, Fiddler fiddlin' you off your feet. It's bluebird singing in a hawthorn thicket. It's vote to a man the Democratic ticket. It's crisp brown cracklin's and hot corn pone. It's catfish fried clean off the bone. It's hominy grits and none of your scrapple. It's mellow pawpaws and the Jonathan apple. It's sorghum sweetenin' and belly-warming corn. It's old Jeff Davis a-blowin' on his horn. Unreconstructed it rares and bites At touch of a rein that would curb its rights. It's come in, stranger, draw up a chair; There ain't no hurry and we'll all get there.

Little Dixie refers to the area in Missouri which "culturally there can be but one opinion: Little Dixie is of the very essence of the Old South - 'more Dixie than Dixie.' Throughout The War Between the States its sympathies and more were with the Confederacy; and to this day it remains spiritually 'unreconstructed.' Its speech, its customs, [and] its leisurely gait are southern." (Trombly, p. ix) Though there is little doubt what is Little Dixie and the origin of its name, there is considerable confusion about the geographical locality. Most agree the term "Little Dixie" originated on the political scene during or shortly after The War Between the States. Few agree to the boundaries of Little Dixie.

Back