WB Rogers and the 36th Massachusetts...continued

I took a break from telling the story of my ancestor. I'm back. Here's the link to the latest post:
https://leaftwigandstem.blogspot.com/2018/07/resuming-story-of-w-b-rogers.html
The next entry will be the Battle of Fredericksburg. Now in doing my due diligence I found a cool map on the National Parks site that gives the locations of all the regiments on the battlefield. The 36th and two it was allied ( a NY regiment I think) with are absent from the map. I later found a reference to them being "held in reserve". Anyone know anything about this? Can anyone point me toward the best sources for pictures, maps etc. The next post will be an important one and I like to include lots of graphics.

I later found a reference to them being "held in reserve". Anyone know anything about this?

It means what it says. "Held in reserve" meant held back, in safety, to be called upon should something go wrong. We need to know where he was "held in reserve" to help you.

"Reserve" troops often got clobbered, it just depends when and where.

I have no idea where or how they were held in reserve. Still searching. All the historical references just say the 36th was there. No idea where. The 36th appears to have been in the 9th Corps under Orlando Wilcox and within that the 1st Division(General William Burns), Third Brigade under Colonel Daniel Leasure. I am looking for a good map showing their fighting position. Anyone?

Last edited:
Back