Way out here...

Dred

First Sergeant
I'm wayyy out here in Tulsa, OK and there ins't much to see here in ways of Civil War hsitory. A couple forts, some lesser known battles, but nothing really close. A far cry from When I lived in Front Royal and Alexandria, VA. Over Christmas break we drove to RI (1700 miles, 30 hours!) On the way back we took a slightly different route and passed so close to Antitetam! I wanted to stop, but it was 3 AM and I'm sure the park rangers would have said something... plus it was cold , like 10 degrees or something stupid... I sure do miss being in the thick of things. It's been 2 long years since I've been to a good park :frown: Here's to better jobs with better vacations and more money to take em!! CHEERS!:beer:

Sounds like the transplant is due to shift into a transMississippi mode. Suggestion: Wander into Lawrence and say nice things about Border Ruffians. Then cross the border and tell everyone you meet that you're a jayhawker. Report back, if possible.

ole

Sounds like the transplant is due to shift into a transMississippi mode. Suggestion: Wander into Lawrence and say nice things about Border Ruffians. Then cross the border and tell everyone you meet that you're a jayhawker. Report back, if possible.

ole

Dred don't listen to him, he wants to see you dead.

You have fallen victim to the Eastern fiction that there was no CW west of the Mississipi. I suggest that you visit not only Pea Ridge but Wilson's Creek as well, it is only about 60 miles north of Pea Ridge. Be sure to visit the museum as well as the battle field. Visit Baxter Springs Kansas as well as Fort Scott. Be sure to seethe Mine Creek battle field, a Kansas state historical site, where the only battle between "Uniformed Troops" in Kansas took place. There you will find what I beleive to be the only Confederate monument in Kansas. Just for grins, see if you can find Gen. Stnd Watie's grave there in Oklahoma.

I also reccomend that you look up a slim volume called Civil War in the Indian Territory, by Steve Cottrell.

You are close to lots of CW.

Doug

Oh and by the way there ain't no such thing as a "border ruffian" the correct term is "Missouri Partisan Ranger"

Oh and by the way there ain't no such thing as a "border ruffian" the correct term is "Missouri Partisan Ranger"
Tell that to Border Ruffian. Oh, I don't want to see Dred dead, just thought he'd like to live on the edge a bit.

When I'm in Charleston this summer, I'll be sure to wear my Sherman t-shirt. That's just the kind of hair-pin I am. Anyone know where I can find a "Swamp Angel" T?

ole

Stand a better chance singin the praises of Border Ruffians in Kansas than singin the praises of Red Legs in oh say Clay or Johnson County Missouri.

Theres alot of sites not necessarily battlefields in Missouri and Arkansas besides the ones already mentioned. They are scattered all over the state. Centralia, Palmyra, Danville, High Hill, New Florence are all near me and are all the sites of some pretty bloody doings or related to some pretty bloody doings.

The Wire Road/Telegraph Road that was used in the Union advances to Wilsons Creek and Pea Ridge is pretty well documented and parts preserved especially in Webster County.

In my County Boonslick Road the route that Anderson used to attack the Northern Missouri RR in St Charles County is still there and paved and you can follow the route from nearly where Anderson was first spotted entering Danville to High Hill where he burnt a RR Depot and Water Tower.

Danville has the Baker Plantation and Danville Girls School both buildings were there when Anderson burned the rest of Danville.

It's there you just have to look for it.

Forget not Picacho Peak in Arizona, site of an 1962 battle!

I'm in Idaho... this is WEST, mate! And before anyone snubs their noses at my state, in 1865 there was an encampment of Union soldiers at the historical site where I'm a docent. They were protecting the Kelton Road from marauders, not warding off pesky Rebs, but there were lads in blue right here in my backyard.

Zou

Am everso glad that we are reminded that there were Union troops posted in the hinterlands, and that there was a threat outside of Indian warfare. We can count on our western cousin to remind us of that.

ole

You're closer to everything than I. We've got Fort Point which was constructed about the same time as Fort Sumter. If you want to see what Sumter looked like, see Fort Point. Presently the National Park Service is trying to restore part of Fort Alcatraz. It was a military fort for over a century before it became a prison. The prison history overshadows its military history. BTW, there were some skirmishes between the Unionists and local Confederates out here, but nothing even amounting to a small battle like Big Bethel or Ball's Bluff. I know the 2nd California Volunteer Infantry patrolled the northern part of the state (and Oregon) from the Indians. One fellow didn't make it and the Indians to this day still have his Henry rifle.

Ole,

i like to live on the wild side, but my wife would like to have kids some day, so i may bypass your sugestion! Thanks for all your suggestions, i have so much to learn about out here! If anything I get the feeling that it was a very nasty busines out here, should be a fun summer! I can actually go places now that I'm done with school!

Oh come on. Out here in the West we think nothing of long car rides. You are not really that far from Vicksburg, Port Hudson, Baton Rouge and what's left of New Orleans. You can make a big swing and even catch the Red River sights.

I spent a day touring the Vicksburg battle field. My wife actually got out of the car for the first few stops, then napped in the back and occassionally got up to ask "How many more of those little markers are you going to get out and read? Don't they all say the same thing?"

Back