Petersburg/Richmond Watkins House at Petersburg

speedylee

Corporal
I have been unable to find the location of the Watkins house on the Petersburg battlefield. I know it was not far from Fort Stedman but none of my maps are good enough to include the location. Some of the Confed troops I am researching reached this area during the March 25, 1865 breakout attempt and I need to know the location so I can try to make sense of my research.

Does anyone know approximately where the house was?

Thanks!

Lee Elder

I have been unable to find the location of the Watkins house on the Petersburg battlefield. I know it was not far from Fort Stedman but none of my maps are good enough to include the location. Some of the Confed troops I am researching reached this area during the March 25, 1865 breakout attempt and I need to know the location so I can try to make sense of my research.

Thanks!

Lee Elder
Hi Lee. Hopefully you can make sense of these possibilities? I found three. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the area to know if any of these might be the Watkins house you are looking for
1587867495363.png

1587867964461.png

1587868705098.png

Gilmer Map Collection Link

EDIT TO ADD: There's also a "Watkins House" about 70 miles from Petersburg, at Walton, VA near Keysville south of Farmville, VA. That one was built in 1830 Link
1587870722279.png

Last edited:
Hi Lee. Hopefully you can make sense of these possibilities? I found three. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the area to know if any of these might be the Watkins house you are looking for
1. View attachment 356508

2. View attachment 356509

3. View attachment 356510
Gilmer Map Collection Link

EDIT TO ADD: There's also a "Watkins House" about 70 miles from Petersburg, at Walton, VA near Keysville south of Farmville, VA. That one was built in 1830 Link
View attachment 356514
First, a huge thanks for all of this. I will figure out a way to line up some of the notations on the maps with parts of the battlefield. The flag of the 59th Alabama was captured near the Watkins house of March 25, 1865, so I believe it would be fairly close to Fort Stedman, which would eliminate the pretty house you included in the photograph. Once I get everything figured out, I'll celebrate with a note here!
Lee Elder

I will figure out a way to line up some of the notations on the maps with parts of the battlefield. The flag of the 59th Alabama was captured near the Watkins house of March 25, 1865, so I believe it would be fairly close to Fort Stedman,
You're welcome. Since it's close to Fort Stedman, maybe start with number 1 above. This might help with locating it on the Gilmer Map. Here's the link so you navigate the map yourself. Link
1587873354602.png

Last edited:

Thanks!

Lee Elder
Hi, Gracies brigade was not engaged at Fort Stedman on March 25. It was stationed on the far right Of what’s called the boydton plank Road line Several miles to the west. Lee stripped this front of several brigades to support the attack on fort Stedman. Humphreys and Wright took advantage of the weakened line and seized the rebel picket line. The Confederates counterattacked in an effort to recapture the picket line. Gracies brigade participated in the counterattack. If you email me I can put you in touch with Julia Steele at Petersburg Battlefield Park who knows where the Watkins house was and also I can share information on Gracies attack. Bryce Suderow [email protected]

I don’t understand why no one has responded to my message, speedy lee, lelliott

especially if You really want to know where the Watkins house was

bryce

Hi Bryce. Hope you are doing well. It's possible that @speedylee has not logged back in since you posted. I was just trying to help him with possible locations by providing the maps. Hopefully he will see your message the next time he logs in. Thanks so much for providing the additional information.

Hi Bryce. Hope you are doing well. It's possible that @speedylee has not logged back in since you posted. I was just trying to help him with possible locations by providing the maps. Hopefully he will see your message the next time he logs in. Thanks so much for providing the additional information.
I have not been on the site in a while. I had to travel on family business and then came home with a deadline looming on a book. Sorry I caused so much consternation! I appreciate everyone's offers to help.

Thanks!

Lee Elder

here is a link to a Library Of Congress map that shows where the Watkins house was.

as I pointed out earlier the house was nowhere near Fort Stedman. It was on what is Called the boydton plank Road line which stretched from battery 45 to the east tburgess Mill to the West

On March 25 Lee withdrew several brigade from this line and sent them east to participate in the attack on fort Stedman. Army corps commanders Horatio Wright and Andrew Humphreys took advantage of the weak line and seized parts of the confederate picket line.

The Confederates counterattacked and took back part of the picket line. Gracies Alabama brigade participated in the attack. The 60th Alabama, however was not involved. It was defending The crow house against attacks from the union second army corps

The 116th Pennsylvania is the regiment that captured the flag.

Bryce

Last edited:
I have found a reference to the "Battle of Watkins Farm" which occurred on March 25. The action took place a bit to the west, near the Federal Fort Fisher and involved Second Corps troops commanded by Nelson Miles. I don't know if that is the Watkins for which you are searching.

here is a link to a Library Of Congress map that shows where the Watkins house was.

as I pointed out earlier the house was nowhere near Fort Stedman. It was on what is Called the boydton plank Road line which stretched from battery 45 to the east tburgess Mill to the West

On March 25 Lee withdrew several brigade from this line and sent them east to participate in the attack on fort Stedman. Army corps commanders Horatio Wright and Andrew Humphreys took advantage of the weak line and seized parts of the confederate picket line.

The Confederates counterattacked and took back part of the picket line. Gracies Alabama brigade participated in the attack. The 60th Alabama, however was not involved. It was defending The crow house against attacks from the union second army corps

The 116th Pennsylvania is the regiment that captured the flag.

Bryce
The beg to differ on one matter. The 60th Alabama was involved in the attack, at least to some degree. Daniel Shipman Troy, an officer in the 60th, commanded the 59th Alabama on the day of the attack in the direction of Fort Stedman due to the 59th being out of officers.

Back