Watercolour of Union Army Officer for ID

MN8

Cadet
Hello,

This watercolour portrait of a Union Army officer was purchased in England (where I am based) and was sold as having being painted contemporaneously to the civil war era, this was supported by a second opinion, but certainly requires further validation to be 100%.

Not that it particularly matters to me as I purchased it because I like it regardless of when it was painted, but it would be nice to think he had sat for it rather than it being copied from a cabinet card / photo at a later date.

I know its a remote chance at best, but would love to put a name to him, as that would then open up research possibilities into his military career and personal life.

Thank you.

MN8

UA (2).jpg

Also notice the slight downward line of the nose tip and the ear lobes. Somewhat older in the photo, more beard, less hair. Eyes appear tired in the photo; almost as though he was looking past the camera and remembering. There seems a greater innocence in the drawing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the suggestion, that is indeed a striking resemblance! 👍

I had meant to add before - the closest I had gotten myself was John Milton Brannan (as per attached photo) but wasnt entirely convinced...

Cheers.

MN8

NB: I can confirm the portrait has not been flipped or manipulated in any way in my original post.

JMB.jpg

Back