Watercolor: Union Private

Bob171

Sergeant
Annual Winner
Union Private

ACW940.jpg

You captured a lot of era flavor! Before it dawned on me these are by a current artist, I thought someone was posting work by one the eye witness, soldier/artists from 150 years ago. When ( if, Christmas season is ridiculous ) I have time, will dig up a few. Seriously, these could have been by one of them. Cool stuff, thank you!

Hot Air Observation balloon vs nature.

View attachment 338649

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!

Regarding the 'Title' "Hot Air Balloon", THE ONLY 'Hot Air Balloon' that operated during the Civil War was the first balloon used by the Confederates which went aloft just 3 times in April 1862. You can read Captain John Randolph Bryan's thoughts about the adventure in volume 33 of the Southern Historical Papers beginning on page 32:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tAgTAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA32&dq="Balloon used for scout duty"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Jgl6VI34Fqq1sQSwxYKIAg&ved=0CCkQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q="Balloon used for scout duty"&f=false

EVERY OTHER Civil War Balloon (12 by the Union and 2 by the Confederates) used the Lighter than Air Gas "City Gas", also known as "Coal Gas", or "Hydrogen" for lift (while it wasn't used in balloons in the 1860's think of a helium balloon you'd purchase in a grocery store . . . . ZERO HEAT REQUIRED)

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Back