Washington Post Article on Slavery at Southern Universities

W. Richardson

Captain
The Washington Post has an interesting article on slavery at Southern universities and colleges before Emancipation. The University of Virginia is a focus of the article. You can access it here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...-beat-raped-enslaved-servants-historians-say/

Interesting article, and I am sure both books will be very informative on this subject. Though most of what was "revealed" did not shock me as slavery is an evil entity. It is a most to bring actions such as these to the surface, and be placed out in the view of all.

"“We’re not trying to ruin people’s day — but if you want to understand society, you’ve got to understand how everything is woven together, the good with the bad.”

I totally agree with that statement. Everything in the world of slavery is woven together. A line can be traced back from almost everything and everyone. History is the good, the bad, and the ugly. No race is clean throughout it's entire history. There was no good slavery, and slavery was a sin of the world.

Thank you Pat for posting.

Respectfully,
William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Interesting article, and I am sure both books will be very informative on this subject. Though most of what was "revealed" did not shock me as slavery is an evil entity. It is a most to bring actions such as these to the surface, and be placed out in the view of all.

"“We’re not trying to ruin people’s day — but if you want to understand society, you’ve got to understand how everything is woven together, the good with the bad.”

I totally agree with that statement. Everything in the world of slavery is woven together. A line can be traced back from almost everything and everyone. History is the good, the bad, and the ugly. No race is clean throughout it's entire history. There was no good slavery, and slavery was a sin of the world.

Thank you Pat for posting.

Respectfully,
William
Thanks William. I ordered Alan Taylor's book, which comes out tomorrow. Taylor has won two Pulitzer Prizes in History as well as the National Book Award and the Bancroft Prize. He is a great historian and a fine writier.

Potomac Pride

Sergeant Major
The role of slavery in many colleges and universities is only beginning to become known. In some southern states, enslaved people help build college campuses and served faculty members. Profits from slavery helped fund certain schools in the Northeast such as Brown, Yale, Harvard and Princeton. There is a growing movement to confront this legacy on many college campuses by administrators and historians.

W. Richardson

Captain
The role of slavery in many colleges and universities is only beginning to become known. In some southern states, enslaved people help build college campuses and served faculty members. Profits from slavery helped fund certain schools in the Northeast such as Brown, Yale, Harvard and Princeton. There is a growing movement to confront this legacy on many college campuses by administrators and historians.

I feel it should be confronted and brought to the forefront as a part of this nation's history. Slavery should be looked at as a whole, and not simply as who had it when, and when whom abolished it. Mankind is guilty, all of mankind that participated in that evil and wrong institution. Regardless if it was the selling of their own, holding until transported, transported, traded for goods, used as slave labor, sold, or forced to fight another man's war. I do not think their are many alive today, across the planet that slavery is not tied into their families history in some way or the other. Guilty is guilty and wrong can not be measured.

Respectfully,
William