1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Washington Peace Conference of 1861.

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by major bill, Mar 3, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

Well I do believe that slavery in Delaware would end in the 1870s or 1880s and Maryland and Kentucky would see slavery decreasing in the 1880s-1890s. Much the same could be said about Missouri. this would mean that slavery in 1900 would be mostly limited to 7 states. I am not saying that in 1900 there would be zero slaves in Missouri or Kentucky, but slave owners as a class would not be able to control the state.

jgoodguy likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. uaskme

uaskme Corporal

Republican Party adopted the Free Soilers position on Slavery. No more Slave States. That was the tipping point.

4. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

I do think a war over slavery in 1900 or 1910 would have been shorter and less people would have died, the down side would be another 40 or 50 years with millions of slaves held in chains.

5. CW Buff

CW Buff Sergeant

I think you and I are envisioning something completely different WRT the hypothetical Compromise of 1861 (which for anyone else dropping in, the three of us have agreed is virtually if not wholly impossible).

I see a more short-term stopgap measure, like 1850. But unless the level of contensuousness somehow abates, its not likely to get the 11 years that 1850 did to the next showdown. The only way I can see getting past 1861 is if the South sees a potential pathway to further expansion. But in the mean time they must hold the last bit of political control they have, the Senate (and with the Senate goes control of SCOTUS). Once that's threatened, it is a matter of secede or capitulate to Republican principles in a complete and final way. And every year that passes, they become more relatively weak (they don't realize it in 1861, but they're already past the breaking point, without a great deal of luck, because the rest of the country will fight for Union much more tenaciously than they thought - of course everyone will ease into a war they underestimate). So in 1861, the South needs to believe they can hold on in the Senate, and regain the White House. That might give them hope of future expansion a la Polk. But once it appears hopeless (as it did in fact in 1861), that's it, you've got another showdown. It would be a miracle of miracles if an 1861 stopgap got them to 1870. Potential loss of the Senate, loss of the White House again in '64, even loss of a SCOTUS appointment, any of these presents a new flashpoint.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)