Washington Navy Yard 1854 /8 unknown item

Hi, I have an 1854 / 58 marked item from Washington Navy Yard I've been painfully trying to ID for several months now. I've researched "Model 1854" without result. As you can see in the photos below it also has "J.A.D" hand stamped on it.....which leads me to believe it may be a significant find. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding John Dahlgren, WNY, the guns, the Plymouth, gun accessories, etc...... To no avail. If you don't mind please take a look at the attached pictures and tell me your thoughts regarding what this may be? Thanks so much! I do appreciate any help you would be willing give me.

20200904_202843.jpg

20200904_202814.jpg

20200904_202920.jpg

Hi, I have an 1854 / 58 marked item from Washington Navy Yard I've been painfully trying to ID for several months now. I've researched "Model 1854" without result. As you can see in the photos below it also has "J.A.D" hand stamped on it.....which leads me to believe it may be a significant find. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding John Dahlgren, WNY, the guns, the Plymouth, gun accessories, etc...... To no avail. If you don't mind please take a look at the attached pictures and tell me your thoughts regarding what this may be? Thanks so much! I do appreciate any help you would be willing give me.

View attachment 372927

View attachment 372928

View attachment 372929

After doing the math it appears that it's volume would hold approximately 203 lb of powder, which makes sense as to it being stamped "200 lbs". The top "hatch" and plate are cast, and the side walls are made of a non-magnetic thinner material. I still can find no reference to "Model 1854" nor as to why it would be stamped "J.A.D 1858".... My only thought being it accompanied him on the second journey of the Plymouth? But I may be reaching on that......

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020

View attachment 372927

View attachment 372928

View attachment 372929
Welcome. Interesting piece can you post a photo of the inside? The JAD is in fact for John A. Dahlgren. This was I believe used during his early year at the Navy yard were he experimented with different powder types. When test fired the Dahlgren gun he invented this may well have been used for that purpose.

Last edited:
Welcome. Interesting piece can you post a photo of the inside? The JAD is in fact for John A. Dahlgren. This was I believe used during his early year at the Navy yard were he experimented with different powder types. When test fired the Dahlgren gun he invented this may well have been used for that purpose.

Thank you! Sorry for the dirtiness.....I'm cleaning it up today and can get some better pics of the inside.

20200907_115849.jpg

20200907_115854.jpg

Remarkably well-preserved. How did you come by it? I was curious of any provenance.
Thanks,
Lubliner.

From the estate of a gentleman who's great grandfather worked on the yard. I will be doing some research on him later as well....I got consumed in researching JAD, the guns, the Plymouth.....I really went down the rabbit hole but it was great! 😁

Wracker123

Cadet

View attachment 372927
Very interesting, I'm a diver and many years ago we recovered 1 intact and a few tops from these MODEL 1854 powder boxes. Unfortunately the one I have doesn't have JAD stamped into it. The interesting part is this ship sank in 1918, so I guess the government got there money's worth from these.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 9
Very interesting, I'm a diver and many years ago we recovered 1 intact and a few tops from these MODEL 1854 powder boxes. Unfortunately the one I have doesn't have JAD stamped into it. The interesting part is this ship sank in 1918, so I guess the government got there money's worth from these.
That's amazing! I've researched this to death and can find no other examples to date. I even heard back from the museum at the Washington Navy Yard who confirmed what it was but said they had never seen one, nor did they have one. I even scoured through thousands of photographs in hopes of seeing one being used..... nothing, nada. Although admittedly I did not look as far forward as 1918. I am happy to see that another one exists! So far I have no explanation as to the "JAD 1858" marks on mine. Obviously something to do with John Dahlgren, but it is a story that is keeping it secrets for now. What material do you think it's made out of? Some kind of brass - heavy on the zinc?

Michael W.

First Sergeant
I am a Naval collector and what you have is something I have never seen before. It has all the typical ordinance markings, the J.A.D. inspector marks are way cool for it. I agree with the other comments here, it is most likely a metallic powder container, much more safer that a wood crate.

Here are a few other Washington Navy Yard items that were inspected by John Adolphus Dahlgren. One is a brass powder measure and the other a ring gauge for an IX Dahlgren ball. View attachment 380843View attachment 380844View attachment 380845View attachment 380849View attachment 380850View attachment 380851
Wow! Those are great items! Thank you for taking the time to post the photos. I've learned so much about WNY, JAD, and the naval ordnance program in general..... This has been a great great learning experience for me. On top of all the learning I was able to find what appears to be a great piece of history as well! 😁