Restricted Washington and Lee University

Only if your suggesting the name change crowd wasn't willing to compromise, as it's evident from the change the University did.

If the professor is unhappy with the change and compromise, what do you think he was willing to compromise?

Again if it's his way or the highway, looks as if he ought to start packing.

If your saying they are transparent they don't want compromise, the University would have made a mistake in doing so, and certainly shouldn't in the future then.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Only if your suggesting the name change crowd wasn't willing to compromise, as it's evident from the change the University did.

If the professor is unhappy with the change and compromise, what do you think he was willing to compromise?

Again if it's his way or the highway, looks as if he ought to start packing.

If your saying they are transparent they don't want compromise, the University would have made a mistake in doing so, and certainly shouldn't in the future then.
The best thing if you have questions about where the group stands, is to go on their site, which I've linked a couple times.

I'd bet that there were changes in the years past at this university, like admitting non-whites and admitting females, that provoked some controversy as well. Let the institution and its stakeholders figure out what they need to do as the times change. They are the ones invested in whether it lives or dies.

The best thing if you have questions about where the group stands, is to go on their site, which I've linked a couple times.

I'd bet that there were changes in the years past at this university, like admitting non-whites and admitting females, that provoked some controversy as well. Let the institution and its stakeholders figure out what they need to do as the times change. They are the ones invested in whether it lives or dies.
I am satisfied they indeed did figure it out as it remains W&L.

Then you have nothing to be concerned about.
No one said I was, thought posters were mentioning a professor's being out of touch with his colleges management and rather blatant racism by the professor, not any concern about the decision that was reached by the college board of trustees.

Didn't know we weren't allowed to condemn blatant racism by a public figure. Personally would think anyone suggesting his races votes should count twice, or conversely all other races votes should be worth half as much, has opened himself to scorn.

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

Captain
No one said I was, thought posters were mentioning a professor's being out of touch with his colleges management and rather blatant racism by the professor, not any concern about the decision that was reached by the college board of trustees.

Didn't know we weren't allowed to condemn blatant racism by a public figure. Personally would think anyone suggesting his races votes should count twice, or conversely all other races votes should be worth half as much, has opened himself to scorn.
The opposition to the name is not from just a single professor. And that opposition doesn't seem to consider the matter settled.

The opposition to the name is not from just a single professor. And that opposition doesn't seem to consider the matter settled.
However the relevant body that makes the decision does by having made the decision. Don't think one will find many issues that don't have sore losers, doesn't change the issues are most often settled.

DanSBHawk

Captain
However the relevant body that makes the decision does by having made the decision. Don't think one will find many issues that don't have sore losers, doesn't change the issues are most often settled.
Absolutely agree, and that should be kept in mind for all these naming and monument and public art issues going forward.

Absolutely agree, and that should be kept in mind for all these naming and monument and public art issues going forward.
Agree, the whiners and complainers who always think we need needless change, will continue to be called out I imagine. Still waiting to see any tangible gain from places that have removed statues, but it seems the real and tangible problems the communities had, still remain, as the realists had pointed out had nothing to do with a statue anyway.......sadly it's misdirected window dressing.

I think it would be rather fair and responsible if a public entity is going to spend large sums on some project, to ask what tangible benifit is there to it. Otherwise the money would probably be better directed to infrastructure, education, unemployment, crime, ect where actual tangible benifits might actually be realized. It would be the rather fiscally responsible thing to do.

Last edited: