Restricted Washington and Lee University

vmicraig

Sergeant
I wanted to visit W&L one last time before the university completely removes all vestiges of the confederacy from its buildings, statues and plaques. If you hadn’t already heard, the university directors have decided to remove/erase all of W&L’s remaining Civil War history from public view. Not sure when this will go into effect, but I presume within the next month or two before the fall school session starts. To make matters worse, the opportunity to visit Lee’s museum and the mausoleum one last time, or to view the wonderful statue of Lee asleep on the battlefield were dashed due to COVID-19 closures of the chapel and the museum.

It has not been publicly released as to the future of Lee Chapel, Traveler’s remains, Lee’s office, the associated Museum, or even the Lee house. Based on the administration’s decision, I presume they Will be renamed, or completely removed. Certainly, the statue of Lee asleep on the battlefield that sits inside Lee Chapel will be removed. I’m not certain If the bodies in the mausoleum will be disturbed, but it seems to be the way things are going, it is indeed possible. It’s a sad chapter in history that is being condemned to elimination

E9448299-6CAE-4DB4-AE3F-6E647F78F2E8.jpeg

D92E9717-82AA-4270-B3AE-31AEB7B03D05.jpeg

928EC9B8-6F16-420C-B033-7B791AF24A74.jpeg

916C2612-2F7B-40F8-ACBA-FB77E4B7E462.jpeg

2AFF42F8-6B97-42E2-985D-E5E43670156B.jpeg

13C591F5-1BCC-41E8-899E-AB6B4DE8E8FB.jpeg

6CE06BC9-90DB-4CB1-ABFB-AFD6AEC0AE28.jpeg

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Disheartening for sure. If not for Lee, I doubt the school would be what it is today.

I don't remember the exact numbers but iirc, when he took over as President, enrollment was around 40 students. Five years later at his death, enrollment was close to 400. On my most recent trip to the chapel, I had a long conversation with the gentleman running the museum that day. He went on about how, as soon as it was announced Lee would become President of the school, they started receiving enrollments from all over the country. Not just Southerners mind you but, NY, MA, PA, etc..

Lee was the right person, at the right time for Washington College. His leadership, & then his sons', helped to set the school on a path for future success. It's unbelievable to me, that this school is so ashamed of him today, they would remove him entirely. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the University moving forward. I'm sure even if they suffer as a result, they'll find something else to blame it on. Although, I have a hard time believing that all of the alumni will be happy with the coming changes.... I have a feeling they are cutting off their nose, to spite their face. :frown:
:lee:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
This is a link to an article I found.
I'm aware. I've read similar articles, & personally know several people close to the situation.

This isn't the only thing going on in Lexington right now. There's other "changes" coming too. I find it all repulsive.

"The Shrine of the South" will be no more soon. The (enter your preferred adjectives here) running things here, are so egotistical, they think people come here for them, & their ideals. Lexington is relevant BECAUSE Robert E Lee, & Thomas J. Jackson are forever at rest here. When the city, & the University have completely rid themselves of any association with these two great men, the city is going to suffer further.

They are already struggling financially. The lack of tourism dollars is already leaving a mark. I wont go into it all, because it's modern politics but, safe to say, there are repercussions from actions like this. Folks singing Kumbaye while hand in hand through the city, isn't going to fill the coffers with tourism dollars. I feel for the local business owners, & descendants of folks who are being disrespected.

None of these measures are going to solve the "problems" they're claiming. They're only going to alienate plenty of folks, & forever disgruntle plenty of locals, & others who've long had an interest in these two great men. Sad days for one of Virginia's greatest sons, & one of her proudest adopted sons.

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
The ball had started rolling on the W&L stuff last year when a group of students asked that the pictures of Washington and Lee not be included on their diplomas. Hello you went to a school named for George Washington and Robert E. Lee. That fact seemed to be lost on them. These graduates that asked for this of course were those graduating from the law school. But they applied there...and went there!!! It boggles the mind the lack of ability to reasonably think in this country.

I also assume the hospital in Lexington (Stonewall Jackson hospital) will be on the chopping block as well.

We have always stayed at the Robert E. Lee Hotel right across from W&L when we have visited. I loved walking around the campus after dinner each evening. Our visits to Lexington were always related to the history - the Lee Chapel, Lee's office, Stonewall Jackson's home, VMI, etc. If all of that history is hidden or removed, I'm sure the town will become a shadow of its former self. Again, it's heartbreaking.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Wow. What percentage of Lexington's city budget is reliant upon tourism dollars? I know we spent a lot of money whenever we visited there - hotel, carriage ride tours, meals, gas up the car, souvenirs, shopping, etc. Do city leaders have a plan to replace the lost revenue? How will they even afford to pay the power bill at City Hall, let alone provide city services? Do they know what they are doing? I mean do they realize the financial impact devastation that is going to result?

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Wow. What percentage of Lexington's city budget is reliant upon tourism dollars? I know we spent a lot of money whenever we visited there - hotel, carriage ride tours, meals, gas up the car, souvenirs, shopping, etc. Do city leaders have a plan to replace the lost revenue? How will they even afford to pay the power bill at City Hall, let alone provide city services? Do they know what they are doing? I mean do they realize the financial impact devastation that is going to result?
They could always defund the police and have plenty to go around.

Philip Leigh

formerly Harvey Johnson
I wanted to visit W&L one last time before the university completely removes all vestiges of the confederacy from its buildings, statues and plaques. If you hadn’t already heard, the university directors have decided to remove/erase all of W&L’s remaining Civil War history from public view. Not sure when this will go into effect, but I presume within the next month or two before the fall school session starts. To make matters worse, the opportunity to visit Lee’s museum and the mausoleum one last time, or to view the wonderful statue of Lee asleep on the battlefield were dashed due to COVID-19 closures of the chapel and the museum.

It has not been publicly released as to the future of Lee Chapel, Traveler’s remains, Lee’s office, the associated Museum, or even the Lee house. Based on the administration’s decision, I presume they Will be renamed, or completely removed. Certainly, the statue of Lee asleep on the battlefield that sits inside Lee Chapel will be removed. I’m not certain If the bodies in the mausoleum will be disturbed, but it seems to be the way things are going, it is indeed possible. It’s a sad chapter in history that is being condemned to elimination

View attachment 363999

View attachment 364000

View attachment 364001

View attachment 364002

View attachment 364003

View attachment 364004

View attachment 364005

Those who follow your advice to visit the school while Lee's memory is still evident may want to take a short drive across the Interstate Highway to the town of Buena Vista to get a good idea of what Lexington might look like w/o Washington & Lee and VMI.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
They could always defund the police and have plenty to go around.
They already don't have a full time Police Chief because they can't afford one :O o:

This didn't start yesterday. The leaders of Lexington, have been ashamed of Lee & Jackson for years. They've been driving people away for some time now.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Those who follow your advice to visit the school while Lee's memory is still evident may want to take a short drive across the Interstate Highway to the town of Buena Vista to get a good idea of what Lexington might look like w/o Washington & Lee and VMI.
Couldn't agree more. Many of us that live in the area, have been saying the same thing among ourselves.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
It is so sad. I just don't understand. Such history there. Two of my most favorites, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. People just don't understand you can't destroy history.

I really pray for this country. Things are moving too fast.

Last night in Louisville, Ky. there was shootings. I called my son this morning who lives there. It was at the Jefferson Park. Don't know all the details but going to find out.

Philip Leigh

formerly Harvey Johnson
I'm aware. I've read similar articles, & personally know several people close to the situation.

This isn't the only thing going on in Lexington right now. There's other "changes" coming too. I find it all repulsive.

"The Shrine of the South" will be no more soon. The (enter your preferred adjectives here) running things here, are so egotistical, they think people come here for them, & their ideals. Lexington is relevant BECAUSE Robert E Lee, & Thomas J. Jackson are forever at rest here. When the city, & the University have completely rid themselves of any association with these two great men, the city is going to suffer further.

They are already struggling financially. The lack of tourism dollars is already leaving a mark. I wont go into it all, because it's modern politics but, safe to say, there are repercussions from actions like this. Folks singing Kumbaye while hand in hand through the city, isn't going to fill the coffers with tourism dollars. I feel for the local business owners, & descendants of folks who are being disrespected.

None of these measures are going to solve the "problems" they're claiming. They're only going to alienate plenty of folks, & forever disgruntle plenty of locals, & others who've long had an interest in these two great men. Sad days for one of Virginia's greatest sons, & one of her proudest adopted sons.

Yesterday somebody sent me the undated email below from The General's Redoubt, which implies the decision has not yet been made.

To the Board of Trustees and Alumni:

The Generals Redoubt unequivocally opposes the changing of the name, in any form, of Washington and Lee University; it opposes the removal of the Founders’ portraits from the diploma of any student, graduate or undergraduate; it believes a recent resolution by tenured faculty calling for removal of Robert E. Lee’s name from that of the university poses a serious challenge of financial and reputational sustainability; and it notes the lack of serious and believable scholarship in Toni Locy’s article ‘Letting Go of Robert E. Lee at Washington and Lee University’ published recently in The Nation. We believe the Honor System at Washington and Lee should be mandatory for students as well as for its faculty. The Generals Redoubt is preparing definitive responses on a number of matters to be published in the near future. These include President Dudley's most recent letter on racial issues and observations of younger alumni on their current and active petition.

The Redoubt is most appreciative of the overwhelming support expressed by our alumni and friends for our efforts of the past year, and those we ardently pursue now to save the traditions and values bestowed on the University by our revered Founders.

Barry Brown

Treasure, The Generals Redoubt

PapaReb

First Sergeant
I really pray for this country. Things are moving too fast.
In my experience, decisions made in haste as a knee jerk reaction, are usually the wrong decisions. Unfortunately no one seems willing to discuss anything. Extremes of any issue are most likely wrong, workable solutions are most always somewhere in the middle. JMHO

danny

Sergeant
Like many here, I am appalled at what is transpiring in our country. I fear for our future; that is, if we even have a future.

What's happening in Lexington will erase a huge swath of American history forever--as if it never happened. And to be replaced by what?

Our history, and perhaps our future, disappearing before our very eyes. Heartbreaking

Amazing to me is the sickening amount of pandering and appeasement that is taking place. So many hypocrites rushing to be the first in line to demand the obliteration of American heritage; as if that will satiate the appetite of hired mobs. Can anyone believe any of this will actually help?

Remember this---whatever is destroyed or whatever is given will never be enough!

Cavalier

First Sergeant
My wife and I had looked forward upon retiring, to going down to Virginia to spend a week or maybe even two, and see as much civil war history as we could, (other people do cruises, we do the Civil War). We had a list of things we wanted to see most. But now, starting with the Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond itself, Washington and Lee, things keep getting removed from the list. The Civil War was why we were going. If they remove it there is no more reason for us to go.

We would have spent our money in hotels, restaurants, saloons, and etc. Now we're staying home and spending it at our local gun shop. You can't defend yourself with flintlocks in the 21st century.

John