Washington and Lee Chapel and Museum

I've had my say and won't beat a dead horse any longer.

Thanks to you all for putting up with my dissent on an issue that often becomes raw, both here at CWT and elsewhere
Actually, your posts and links are very informed and helpful.

Reading the university's commission report that you linked, it's clear that the campus community understands the challenge of having the chapel and the association with Lee. From the report:

"They [students, staff, faculty, and alumni] noted too that the lack of historical instruction allows for groups outside of the W&L community to impose their own narratives on the university and its key spaces, such as Lee Chapel and Museum."

To some outside groups, the chapel is a quasi-religious shrine. The university just wants to take control of its own narrative.

To some outside groups, the chapel is a quasi-religious shrine. The university just wants to take control of its own narrative.
Some of those outside groups care more about Lee, & his legacy, than the university ever will. I can certainly understand why a university ashamed of it's namesakes, want to control the narrative....

The University of Mississippi is facing similar issues regarding the balance of history with an all-inclusive atmosphere. Being the flagship university for the state of Mississippi, Ole Miss must lead the way in a addressing the issue of Confederate Memorials on state property.
The University has sought input from students, faculty, staff and state officials in coming to the decision to remove the Confederate Statue from the center of campus to the Confederate Cemetery on the South part of the campus.
Regardless of one’s personal thoughts, this was a decision made by the university community along with approval by state authorities. Preserving history, especially painful episodes, is a difficult task and must be addressed by us as a nation regardless of the pain
Regards
David

Some of those outside groups care more about Lee, & his legacy, than the university ever will. I can certainly understand why a university ashamed of it's namesakes, want to control the narrative....
There's no doubt that those outside groups would like to see a narrative more worshipful of Lee. The university however has other priorities, including keeping their narrative more fact-based. They're running a school, not a church.

Probably would have been better if Lee and his family had been interred in a cemetery, or land for that sole purpose.

There's no doubt that those outside groups would like to see a narrative more worshipful of Lee. The university however has other priorities, including keeping their narrative more fact-based. They're running a school, not a church.
That's debatable. Unfortunately, the evidence I could provide would trigger the mods. Lets just say, there have been actions on that campus, condoned by faculty, to mock Lee.
Probably would have been better if Lee and his family had been interred in a cemetery, or land for that sole purpose.
On this point, we are in agreement.

Great photos! I'd love to see this place for myself.

I have now actually been there, and it's a great little museum and a beautiful chapel. It's hard to describe just what it feels like to be standing so close to where Lee is interred. And of course Jackson's grave is not far away, so I got to visit the final resting place of both these great men.

I have now actually been there, and it's a great little museum and a beautiful chapel. It's hard to describe just what it feels like to be standing so close to where Lee is interred. And of course Jackson's grave is not far away, so I got to visit the final resting place of both these great men.
That "great little museum" has an equally great little gift shop where I spent no little money on great Lee memorabilia, lol!!

Are you surprised that many black students find glorification of the Confederacy creates an uncomfortable (or worse) social environment for them?)
When we visited the nearby VMI we did a guided tour. It happened that it was just the two of us and our guide was a very nice black cadet. So I asked him how he felt with VMI honoring Jackson and W&L honoring Lee - did he ever feel unwelcome for being black or resent the institutions for honoring Confederate leaders. He said he never felt for a split second treated differently from his white comrades and he himself honors Jackson and above all, Lee. I think he dared say this because it was just the three of us, but I found his words remarkable.

Back