Ammo Washed Up Artillery Shell from Champion Hill

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
I had never experienced this before.
Me and a relic hunting buddy were walking a logging area near Champion Hill in Mississippi a couple of weeks ago and he looks down and there's a 20 pounder Parrott shell washed up in the bulldozer cut. I couldn't believe it.
Crazy, huh???

shell2.JPG

shell3.JPG

thats really cool... i went to coosahatchi, sc couple weeks ago with my magnet... i stood on top of the tressel and was casting out trying to pull one up... i figured the union came up the river n blew up the tressel there... only retrieved some old railroad nails n such... anyway, good find... make sure that shell cant go off.

thats really cool... i went to coosahatchi, sc couple weeks ago with my magnet... i stood on top of the tressel and was casting out trying to pull one up... i figured the union came up the river n blew up the tressel there... only retrieved some old railroad nails n such... anyway, good find... make sure that shell cant go off.
I went magnet fishing a few years back and found a 6 pounder cannonball fragment in a river. Magnet fishing is pretty neat. Lots of stuff lost in rivers.

Lucky son of a.....gun.

Congratulations on an awesome find, as someone who grew up on bulldozers and other heavy equipment, I can't say its not too surprising a Parrott shell would turn up out of the ground on a battlefield. That someone would notice it and grab it is surprising and incredibly lucky.

Last edited:
Back