Was your ancestor treated at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge?

Hi all -

My gg-grandfather Joseph Seely Dolson (161st NY Volunteer Infantry, detached) was chief surgeon at the US General Hospital in Baton Rouge from about 17 Dec 1862 to 23 Jul 1863.

I would be very interested in hear from anyone who has researched individuals who spent time in the hospital or were treated by Dr. Dolson. I have many of his letters, some of which mention patient names (often just last name and rank) and would be happy to search for your ancestor or person of interest, and would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the hospital (which is not especially extensive).

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117
Hi Rob,
My gg grandfather William Watson was in Baton Rouge at that time. He got sick shortly after arrival early in December and was sick a lot during his 9 month service. He was in Company D, Massachusetts 52nd Infantry. If you could look and see if there is any mention of him in your gg grandfather's letters, that would be great.

I wonder whether you ever came across the name Vail as a civilian staff member at the hospital?

Hi all -

My gg-grandfather Joseph Seely Dolson (161st NY Volunteer Infantry, detached) was chief surgeon at the US General Hospital in Baton Rouge from about 17 Dec 1862 to 23 Jul 1863.

I would be very interested in hear from anyone who has researched individuals who spent time in the hospital or were treated by Dr. Dolson. I have many of his letters, some of which mention patient names (often just last name and rank) and would be happy to search for your ancestor or person of interest, and would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the hospital (which is not especially extensive).

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117

Hi all -

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117
My GGGrandfather died in Baton Rouge June 11, 1863 of typhoid .. he was from New Hampshire, he was a union soldier looking for any info on him... I know he was buried in Chalamette Nat. Cem. I have photos of his grave but thats about it

Hi all -

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117

Dear Rob, my husband’s gg grandfather died at Post Hospital in Baton Rouge on Jan 1 1867, so after your ancestor was there. However, I am looking for primary sources, such as letters, that describe the days and life at the hospital during those times. Have you considered posting the letters or donating copies to National Archives?

My 3rd great-grandfather died at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge on 26 Jul 1863. His name was Fridolin Laager. He was a private in the 174th Regiment, New York Infantry, Co. K. Would you have any information on him?

My 3rd great-grandfather died at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge on 26 Jul 1863. His name was Fridolin Laager. He was a private in the 174th Regiment, New York Infantry, Co. K. Would you have any information on him?
Hi, Chris! Unfortunately, it looks like the original poster hasn't been active in several years. Hope he still sees this and responds, but in the meantime, welcome to CWT! We're glad to have you with us. :smile:

My 3x great grandfather, Martin Dake, was sick and at this hospital July and August 1864. Anything on record for him? Thank you.

Hi Rob,
My Great Grandfather’s brother William Wedgwood was apparently in Baton Rouge hospital from May to August 1863. He was a private in D Company 133rd New York Infantry Regiment.
I would be fascinated to learn any information you have about him.
Many Thanks,
Lee

Hello
hope this is still valid after all these years....I am seeking info on soldier named Hazen Nutter who was with Company D, 15th Regt Vol Inf New Hampshire. Mustered in 1862 and died at Baton Rouge 7 July 1863 aged 17 yrs and 10 months.

Hello
hope this is still valid after all these years....I am seeking info on soldier named Hazen Nutter who was with Company D, 15th Regt Vol Inf New Hampshire. Mustered in 1862 and died at Baton Rouge 7 July 1863 aged 17 yrs and 10 months.
Hazen D. Nutter was born in Gilmanton NH (son of John Nutter and Sally (Dudley?). He enlisted on 15 October 1862 in Barnstead NH and was mustered in 3 days later. It doesn't look like there was a pension claim for his service.

I am also hoping this thread is still valid. Three of the soldiers that I'm researching (all from 21st Maine, Company B) died there:
Corp. Daniel W. Bowman (22 April 1863); Pvt. George Lander/Landers (4 May 1863); Pvt. Benjamin O. York (4 April 1863).

I am also hoping this thread is still valid. Three of the soldiers that I'm researching (all from 21st Maine, Company B) died there:
Corp. Daniel W. Bowman (22 April 1863); Pvt. George Lander/Landers (4 May 1863); Pvt. Benjamin O. York (4 April 1863).
Thanks. I had this info but I was hoping to learn the cause of death. For some reason I can't seem to locate the hospital records that were included in records kept and I believe scanned to Fold3.
Pvt Hazen Nutter was only 17+10 months when he passed and unfortunately is in an unmarked grave at Baton Rouge. If anyone knows the location of online hosp data I'd dance at your next wedding to have a look.

Thanks. I had this info but I was hoping to learn the cause of death. For some reason I can't seem to locate the hospital records that were included in records kept and I believe scanned to Fold3.
Pvt Hazen Nutter was only 17+10 months when he passed and unfortunately is in an unmarked grave at Baton Rouge. If anyone knows the location of online hosp data I'd dance at your next wedding to have a look.
You mayl be going danceless for a long, long time ☺ .

I've been reseaching 200+ soldiers from a Maine town and found that those sent to the Gulf took a pretty hard hit: they weren't used to the weather and had no immunity to local disease; it was probably the same for fellow-New Englanders from New Hampshire. The biggest cause of death (when I could find it) was malaria. I don't know of a hospital database but I'll poke around in my sources for Pvt. Nutter. BTW, the hospital seems to have had its own cemetery--it may be that Pvt Nutter's grave simply hasn't been catalogued.

Sorry, looks like you're going to have to find some other reason to dance. No database.

I did find that Pvt. Nutter was a member of Company G, not Company D. He is, in fact, buried in the National Military Cemetery in Baton Rouge--but is "among the unknown". The cemetery was established in 1867 and contains identified graves of 2936 men and unidentified, 494. The 494 men probably died before 1867 and the bodies simply transferred in.

If anyone is still out there reading this thread -- I am a complete newbie here. Ran across CWT while researching my 2GGF, Pvt. Ellis P. Amsden, who served in the Union Army. Someone unknown to me (probably a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War) posted the following: "Enlisted November 4, 1861; mustered in November 20, 1861 as Private with Company C, 31st Massachusetts Infantry. Died at Cono Hospital, Baton Rouge Louisiana, of dysentery, 24 September 1863". Previously I had seen that he died of "disease". He has a grave marker at Baton Rouge Natl Cemetery, but also one back home in Petersham, MA. I have no way to know if his body might have been disinterred and sent home. It's not likely, but possible.
My question, for the original poster or anyone else who knows, is what to make of "Cono Hospital"? I can't find that name anywhere.
BTW Ellis's son Jacob, who enlisted along with him, returned to service after his father died and was killed at Yellow Bayou about a year later. And if Rob is still out there somewhere, any mention of him in your ancestor's papers? Thank you so much.

He has a grave marker at Baton Rouge Natl Cemetery, but also one back home in Petersham, MA.
It wasn't unusual for a soldier to be buried in the south but to have a memorial marker back at home. Transporting a body in those days was difficult and expensive--yet the family wished him to be memorialized. Such "empty" markers were called cenotaphs.

The notation about Cono Hospital is an addition to his entry on Find-a-Grave. It might be worthwhile to contact the person who maintains that page. Same goes for the FAG page for William T. Bryant, d. 1863 (same cemetery-same hospital).

Welcome to CWT! I've been to Petersham--it's a lovely old town.

It wasn't unusual for a soldier to be buried in the south but to have a memorial marker back at home. Transporting a body in those days was difficult and expensive--yet the family wished him to be memorialized. Such "empty" markers were called cenotaphs.

The notation about Cono Hospital is an addition to his entry on Find-a-Grave. It might be worthwhile to contact the person who maintains that page. Same goes for the FAG page for William T. Bryant, d. 1863 (same cemetery-same hospital).

Welcome to CWT! I've been to Petersham--it's a lovely old town.
Yes, Petersham is a classic New England town. We spent a couple of days there and nearby in the summer of 2017. I was on a mission to find and photograph the graves of all 4 pairs of my great-grandparents -- two in Massachusetts and two in Connecticut. We found much more than that. Spent several hours in their lovely public library.

I did exactly what you suggested, and contacted the member of SUVCW who manages the FindaGrave page. He answered me within hours. Said that it was a transcription error -- "Cono" was obviously "Conv." and likely an abbreviation for "Convalescent". That still doesn't tell me if it was US General or some other hospital, but at least it makes logical sense. Does the name "Convalescent Hospital" ring any bells with anyone?

I've been reading Drew Gilpin Faust's 2008 book "This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War", which I see that Pat Young reviewed here a couple of years ago. I learned that there were groups who helped families bring the bodies of their loved ones home for reburial. I doubt that this happened in Ellis Amsden's case, but it might have. If it did, it would likely have been written up in the local newspaper as a "son of Petersham coming home". I may search there.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.

Yes, Petersham is a classic New England town. We spent a couple of days there and nearby in the summer of 2017. I was on a mission to find and photograph the graves of all 4 pairs of my great-grandparents -- two in Massachusetts and two in Connecticut. We found much more than that. Spent several hours in their lovely public library.

I did exactly what you suggested, and contacted the member of SUVCW who manages the FindaGrave page. He answered me within hours. Said that it was a transcription error -- "Cono" was obviously "Conv." and likely an abbreviation for "Convalescent". That still doesn't tell me if it was US General or some other hospital, but at least it makes logical sense. Does the name "Convalescent Hospital" ring any bells with anyone?

I've been reading Drew Gilpin Faust's 2008 book "This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War", which I see that Pat Young reviewed here a couple of years ago. I learned that there were groups who helped families bring the bodies of their loved ones home for reburial. I doubt that this happened in Ellis Amsden's case, but it might have. If it did, it would likely have been written up in the local newspaper as a "son of Petersham coming home". I may search there.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.
Another suggestion, in general. A frequently overlooked resource is the local historical society of your ancestor's town. The Petersham Historical Society does exists but doesn't have a huge web presence. http://www.petershamcommon.com/historic.htm has the Society's address plus a wonderful video of its museum holdings. Toward the end of the video (about 5.4 minutes in) is the Civil War collection. It seems quite possible that they have some information on the Amsdens. Our local historical society is fortunate to have collections of letters written home--and Petersham may also.

Last thought: On June 2, 2012, @tmh10 started an interesting thread on "Mental illness during the Civil War". The thread topic is not the issue--look at his descriptions of the hospitals in Baton Rouge in the OP (especially the letters).

Back