Was your ancestor treated at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge?

I have an unusual request. I have read somewhere the allegation that a Southern medical doctor from Trinity (now called Jonesville) Louisiana (located in Catahoula Parish) was so moved by the carnage at the Battle of Baton Rouge that he left Trinity to assist in medical service to those injury in the said battle. I assume he worked at the cited Hospital. I forgot his name unfortunately. It was further claimed upon his return to his home, he was arrested/prosecuted and hanged by local authorities for aiding and assisting the enemy because some of his patients were wounded Yankees. I would be thankful if you have or can locate any information upon this sorrowful affair.

I have an unusual request. I have read somewhere the allegation that a Southern medical doctor from Trinity (now called Jonesville) Louisiana (located in Catahoula Parish) was so moved by the carnage at the Battle of Baton Rouge that he left Trinity to assist in medical service to those injury in the said battle. I assume he worked at the cited Hospital. I forgot his name unfortunately. It was further claimed upon his return to his home, he was arrested/prosecuted and hanged by local authorities for aiding and assisting the enemy because some of his patients were wounded Yankees. I would be thankful if you have or can locate any information upon this sorrowful affair.
What an intriguing story! I have never heard of that. @lelliott19 you know so much about medical care in the CW - have you of heard this?

Hi all -

My gg-grandfather Joseph Seely Dolson (161st NY Volunteer Infantry, detached) was chief surgeon at the US General Hospital in Baton Rouge from about 17 Dec 1862 to 23 Jul 1863.

I would be very interested in hear from anyone who has researched individuals who spent time in the hospital or were treated by Dr. Dolson. I have many of his letters, some of which mention patient names (often just last name and rank) and would be happy to search for your ancestor or person of interest, and would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the hospital (which is not especially extensive).

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117
I have an ancestor, James Webb VANHOOSER, who was in the Baton Rouge hospital, discharged in 1865, so after your surgeon ancestor was there. Do you have any information on illnesses? According to his pension application, James suffered from a parasite that caused chronic diarrhea that began in May, 1863, at Pilot Knob, MO and he was placed in the general hospital there. He served from Sept. 30, 1862 until his honorable discharge on June 14, 1865 in Baton Rouge. I can’t imagine his discomfort for those 2 years! Thank you in advance.

I have an ancestor, James Webb VANHOOSER, who was in the Baton Rouge hospital, discharged in 1865, so after your surgeon ancestor was there. Do you have any information on illnesses? According to his pension application, James suffered from a parasite that caused chronic diarrhea that began in May, 1863, at Pilot Knob, MO and he was placed in the general hospital there. He served from Sept. 30, 1862 until his honorable discharge on June 14, 1865 in Baton Rouge. I can’t imagine his discomfort for those 2 years! Thank you in advance.
Sorry about the slow response! Here's some details on dysentery/diarrhea during the war:

There are numerous mentions of chronic diarrhea in my gg-grandfather's letters!

Sorry about the slow response! This might be helpful information regarding "chronic diarrhea" (which is the term my gg-grandfather uses in his letters - appears about 5 times regarding patients).

Fascinating! Unfortunately I don't have any info.

Hi Rob,
My gg grandfather William Watson was in Baton Rouge at that time. He got sick shortly after arrival early in December and was sick a lot during his 9 month service. He was in Company D, Massachusetts 52nd Infantry. If you could look and see if there is any mention of him in your gg grandfather's letters, that would be great.
Sorry about the slow response! Unfortunately no mention.

Another suggestion, in general. A frequently overlooked resource is the local historical society of your ancestor's town. The Petersham Historical Society does exists but doesn't have a huge web presence. http://www.petershamcommon.com/historic.htm has the Society's address plus a wonderful video of its museum holdings. Toward the end of the video (about 5.4 minutes in) is the Civil War collection. It seems quite possible that they have some information on the Amsdens. Our local historical society is fortunate to have collections of letters written home--and Petersham may also.

Last thought: On June 2, 2012, @tmh10 started an interesting thread on "Mental illness during the Civil War". The thread topic is not the issue--look at his descriptions of the hospitals in Baton Rouge in the OP (especially the letters).
Thanks for the tips! I did obtain some really interesting materials from the Historical Society of Steuben County, NY, which is where my gg-grandfather Seely lived both prior to the war and for the rest of his life. In particular, obtained a couple of obits that contained some interesting info, as well as a very sweet and somewhat heartbreaking obit for her daughter who sadly died very young:

Death of Miss Ella Dolson

We are called upon to record the death of a Miss Ella Dolson, only daughter of Doctor J.S. Dolson, in the 19th​ year of her age. For 5 years she as been a constant sufferer, her ailments commencing with spinal fever [meningococcal meningitis], which left her greatly prostrated. She recovered sufficiently to be about and attend to her education. She early conceived a desire to acquire a thorough medical education, and for her age, became an accomplished scholar in that direction, as she was an earnest student, and believed in carrying out faithfully whater she engaged to do. Her parents encourged her, and provided her with ever factility to acquire what she desired. She was ever a dutiful and loving child, the desire to do exactly right always and under all circumstances being a prominent feature from her earliest years – and it was never necessary to correct her. Her loving disposition attracted to her many friends, and those she drew to her never deserted her. Her loss to her parents and brothers cannot be told, as she appeared among them the bright star that cast a lustre upon all with whom she associated. Her terrible disease that prostated her when 14 years of age, as years passed on, gradually brought her to close confinement, and for the past year she has been confined to her room and bed – but never complaining – always expressing the hope that she might die (as she felt that she was ready for the great change) rather than live – unless she could be of more use in the world than an invalid could be. The past year she has been a terrible sufferer, the disease finally culminating in an abcess which speedily produced death. Her funearal was very largely attended on Tuesday last by the young people of the village, who gave evidence by their grief and presence, that a loving companion, an esteemed friend, had passed from their circle. When but 13 years of age, Ella removed from Hornellsville to her former home in Bath and so firm had her attachments taken hold upon her young companions of that village that two carriages loads of them came to her funeral. She frail [tonment that contained] as bright a spirit as ever dwelt in mortal frame has passed to the home of the Immortal – there to grace the diadem of the crown worn by the Savior, who as assured us that "of such is the Kingdom of Heaven".
Another suggestion, in general. A frequently overlooked resource is the local historical society of your ancestor's town. The Petersham Historical Society does exists but doesn't have a huge web presence. http://www.petershamcommon.com/historic.htm has the Society's address plus a wonderful video of its museum holdings. Toward the end of the video (about 5.4 minutes in) is the Civil War collection. It seems quite possible that they have some information on the Amsdens. Our local historical society is fortunate to have collections of letters written home--and Petersham may also.

Last thought: On June 2, 2012, @tmh10 started an interesting thread on "Mental illness during the Civil War". The thread topic is not the issue--look at his descriptions of the hospitals in Baton Rouge in the OP (especially the letters).

If anyone is still out there reading this thread -- I am a complete newbie here. Ran across CWT while researching my 2GGF, Pvt. Ellis P. Amsden, who served in the Union Army. Someone unknown to me (probably a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War) posted the following: "Enlisted November 4, 1861; mustered in November 20, 1861 as Private with Company C, 31st Massachusetts Infantry. Died at Cono Hospital, Baton Rouge Louisiana, of dysentery, 24 September 1863". Previously I had seen that he died of "disease". He has a grave marker at Baton Rouge Natl Cemetery, but also one back home in Petersham, MA. I have no way to know if his body might have been disinterred and sent home. It's not likely, but possible.
My question, for the original poster or anyone else who knows, is what to make of "Cono Hospital"? I can't find that name anywhere.
BTW Ellis's son Jacob, who enlisted along with him, returned to service after his father died and was killed at Yellow Bayou about a year later. And if Rob is still out there somewhere, any mention of him in your ancestor's papers? Thank you so much.
Hi Kathy. I've never come across "Cono Hospital" and just did some Googling and no luck (although I did see your essay). Did you ever figure it out? No mention of "Amsden" in my gg-grandfather's letters.

Wow Rob, very cool.. my cousin Lyman Gunn of the 91st NY was mortally wounded late May, 1863 and the fam gealogy book says just "died July 1st at hopsital, Baton Rouge."

Would be amazing to learn more .. thanks, clay
Hi Clay. Unfortunately no mention of the last name "Gunn" in the letters!

Are you aware of this diary?

Thanks for the tips! I did obtain some really interesting materials from the Historical Society of Steuben County, NY, which is where my gg-grandfather Seely lived both prior to the war and for the rest of his life. In particular, obtained a couple of obits that contained some interesting info, as well as a very sweet and somewhat heartbreaking obit for her daughter who sadly died very young:

Death of Miss Ella Dolson

We are called upon to record the death of a Miss Ella Dolson, only daughter of Doctor J.S. Dolson, in the 19th​ year of her age. For 5 years she as been a constant sufferer, her ailments commencing with spinal fever [meningococcal meningitis], which left her greatly prostrated. She recovered sufficiently to be about and attend to her education. She early conceived a desire to acquire a thorough medical education, and for her age, became an accomplished scholar in that direction, as she was an earnest student, and believed in carrying out faithfully whater she engaged to do. Her parents encourged her, and provided her with ever factility to acquire what she desired. She was ever a dutiful and loving child, the desire to do exactly right always and under all circumstances being a prominent feature from her earliest years – and it was never necessary to correct her. Her loving disposition attracted to her many friends, and those she drew to her never deserted her. Her loss to her parents and brothers cannot be told, as she appeared among them the bright star that cast a lustre upon all with whom she associated. Her terrible disease that prostated her when 14 years of age, as years passed on, gradually brought her to close confinement, and for the past year she has been confined to her room and bed – but never complaining – always expressing the hope that she might die (as she felt that she was ready for the great change) rather than live – unless she could be of more use in the world than an invalid could be. The past year she has been a terrible sufferer, the disease finally culminating in an abcess which speedily produced death. Her funearal was very largely attended on Tuesday last by the young people of the village, who gave evidence by their grief and presence, that a loving companion, an esteemed friend, had passed from their circle. When but 13 years of age, Ella removed from Hornellsville to her former home in Bath and so firm had her attachments taken hold upon her young companions of that village that two carriages loads of them came to her funeral. She frail [tonment that contained] as bright a spirit as ever dwelt in mortal frame has passed to the home of the Immortal – there to grace the diadem of the crown worn by the Savior, who as assured us that "of such is the Kingdom of Heaven".
What a lovely and touching obituary!

What an intriguing story! I have never heard of that. @lelliott19 you know so much about medical care in the CW - have you of heard this?
Sorry for just now seeing this tag. I have never heard of a Confederate or Union Surgeon being arrested or tried (and certainly none sentenced to die) by local authorities (or any other authorities) for providing medical treatment to wounded enemies. In fact, all of my reading indicates that it was quite the norm. Wish we knew the name of the surgeon.

Back