Was your ancestor treated at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge?

Hi all -

My gg-grandfather Joseph Seely Dolson (161st NY Volunteer Infantry, detached) was chief surgeon at the US General Hospital in Baton Rouge from about 17 Dec 1862 to 23 Jul 1863.

I would be very interested in hear from anyone who has researched individuals who spent time in the hospital or were treated by Dr. Dolson. I have many of his letters, some of which mention patient names (often just last name and rank) and would be happy to search for your ancestor or person of interest, and would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the hospital (which is not especially extensive).

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117
Hi Rob,
My gg grandfather William Watson was in Baton Rouge at that time. He got sick shortly after arrival early in December and was sick a lot during his 9 month service. He was in Company D, Massachusetts 52nd Infantry. If you could look and see if there is any mention of him in your gg grandfather's letters, that would be great.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Hi all -

My gg-grandfather Joseph Seely Dolson (161st NY Volunteer Infantry, detached) was chief surgeon at the US General Hospital in Baton Rouge from about 17 Dec 1862 to 23 Jul 1863.

I would be very interested in hear from anyone who has researched individuals who spent time in the hospital or were treated by Dr. Dolson. I have many of his letters, some of which mention patient names (often just last name and rank) and would be happy to search for your ancestor or person of interest, and would be happy to share what knowledge I have of the hospital (which is not especially extensive).

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117

Hi all -

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117
My GGGrandfather died in Baton Rouge June 11, 1863 of typhoid .. he was from New Hampshire, he was a union soldier looking for any info on him... I know he was buried in Chalamette Nat. Cem. I have photos of his grave but thats about it

Hi all -

Cheers -

Rob

View attachment 8117

Dear Rob, my husband’s gg grandfather died at Post Hospital in Baton Rouge on Jan 1 1867, so after your ancestor was there. However, I am looking for primary sources, such as letters, that describe the days and life at the hospital during those times. Have you considered posting the letters or donating copies to National Archives?

My 3rd great-grandfather died at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge on 26 Jul 1863. His name was Fridolin Laager. He was a private in the 174th Regiment, New York Infantry, Co. K. Would you have any information on him?

Zella

First Sergeant
Forum Host
My 3rd great-grandfather died at US General Hospital in Baton Rouge on 26 Jul 1863. His name was Fridolin Laager. He was a private in the 174th Regiment, New York Infantry, Co. K. Would you have any information on him?
Hi, Chris! Unfortunately, it looks like the original poster hasn't been active in several years. Hope he still sees this and responds, but in the meantime, welcome to CWT! We're glad to have you with us. :smile:

My 3x great grandfather, Martin Dake, was sick and at this hospital July and August 1864. Anything on record for him? Thank you.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)