Grant Was Ulysses S. Grant actually an alcoholic?

There is no evidence that Lee was an alcoholic . Be a bit skeptical of what your teachers tell you , even at the University level .
It is known that alcoholic can perform better under great stress better than sober people ,so if he was a alcoholic then Stanton must have kept him with supplied with a ample supply of only the best,.No one questions his sobriety as President .

My mom knows a lot about the Civil War, and we trade random facts all of the time, and she told me the other day that Ulysses S. Grant was an alcoholic. Is that really true? My history teacher in Middle School told me Robert E. Lee was an alcoholic, but didn't mention Ulysses S. Grant. Your thoughts?

Civilwarnerd Welcome to this forum

You have the advantage of youth, and the Forums members are quite knowledgeable.

Consider the following:

Lincoln on Grant’s whiskey

I know more than a few University historians who like to “quote” Lincoln’s infamous statement on Grant, whiskey, and other generals.

The usual quote is a myth, ….

See

Sears, Stephen W., Lincoln’s Lieutenants: The High Command of the Army of the Potomac, 618.

“A widely circulated story had Lincoln where Grant got his liquor, so he could send some to his other generals. A good story, Lincoln said when asked about it, but not one of his. ‘He supposed it was charged to him to give it currency.’

Grant was an alcoholic.

Yes, by definition.

Grant could not drink only one glass of wine, and this is wife his protective wife was also summoned.

Remember that Grant's friend John Rawlins, brevet Major General (later sec of war) was near at hand to help Grant refuse a drink.

And yet, his plan won. Every Confederate port city east of the Mississippi was controlled by the US. Unlike Napoleon in Europe retreating from Moscow, Grant cut off General Lee's retreating Confederate army, and forced a full and formal surrender, with no second campaign deep in the heart of the south, and no escaped from exile by Jefferson Davis. If he was drunk, so what?

"If he was drunk, so what?"

During Grant's CW command, there were very few times that Grant drank

"If he was drunk, so what?"

During Grant's CW command, there were very few times that Grant drank
That's right and all scholars that I've known agree that on the rare occasions when he did drink, it was never during a campaign when he most would have relied on his cognitive abilities.

Somewhere on this forum I described my theory that Grant lacked the genetic makeup to produce the two alcohol metabolizing enzymes, ADH and ALDH, which would account for his seeming to be drunk with only one drink (a bit of staggering and slurred speech while retaining his full cognitive ability). This is a theory only. To test it, someone would have to obtain a sample of Grant's DNA to see if there is a lack or variation of that particular gene.

That's right and all scholars that I've known agree that on the rare occasions when he did drink, it was never during a campaign when he most would have relied on his cognitive abilities.

This is my read of history as well

Yep, but he was still an alcoholic.
It gives me hope that people who may suffer this disease will find strength and triumph. Whether or not Grant was an alcoholic is a fool’s endeavor- we’ll never know. Whether he beat the slaveholders rebellion we know for sure. Plithly responses to satisfy ones own bias aren’t helpful.

I would encourage anyone who thinks that they may have an alcohol problem to contact their medical provider, a trusted friend, or any of the groups/services who are there to ask and answer questions. Be like General Grant- defeat your enemy.

It gives me hope that people who may suffer this disease will find strength and triumph. Whether or not Grant was an alcoholic is a fool’s endeavor- we’ll never know. Whether he beat the slaveholders rebellion we know for sure. Plithly responses to satisfy ones own bias aren’t helpful.

I would encourage anyone who thinks that they may have an alcohol problem to contact their medical provider, a trusted friend, or any of the groups/services who are there to ask and answer questions. Be like General Grant- defeat your enemy.

Excellent advice

Really good advice. Thanks. But based on common knowledge, Grant was an alcoholic.

Really good advice. Thanks. But based on common knowledge, Grant was an alcoholic.
Maybe _ but he sure did beat those rebs!

You have two choices:

1) Grant was an alcoholic who captured three rebel armies, won nearly every battle he was commander in, and finally accepted Robert Lee’s sword in surrender. He then went on to become President of the United States.

2) Grant captured three rebel armies, won nearly every battle he was commander in, and finally accepted Robert Lee’s sword in surrender. He then went on to become President of the United States.

If calling Grant an alcoholic somehow makes you feel better about the fact that he beat every rebel he came across and defeated the rebellion have at it. Plithy response expected.

Last edited:
Maybe _ but he sure did beat those rebs!

You have two choices:

1) Grant was an alcoholic who captured three rebel armies, won nearly every battle he was commander in, and finally accepted Robert Lee’s sword in surrender. He then went on to become President of the United States.

2) Grant captured three rebel armies, won nearly every battle he was commander in, and finally accepted Robert Lee’s sword in surrender. He then went on to become President of the United States.

If calling Grant an alcoholic somehow makes you feel better about the fact that he beat every rebel he came across and defeated the rebellion have at it. Plithy response expected.
I agree with you on every point. Doesn’t change historical fact Grant was an alcoholic. It has nothing to do with my feelings it’s just The way he was.

I agree with you on every point. Doesn’t change historical fact Grant was an alcoholic. It has nothing to do with my feelings just a historical fact.
I don’t think we have any means, capability, or right to make such a diagnosis.

Further, if the third highest ranking military officer (5th by Seniority) in American history and President of the United States was an alcoholic (a claim that no one living can make with certainty), it makes him all the more impressive. It shows that the man had a character and courage coupled with moral grounding to not only defeat a disease but also a rebellion against his country, against free and fair elections, and against the rule of law- at the end of the day, the CSA was a repudiation of the United States, free and fair elections, and the rule of law.

Oh that there were a hundred Sam Grants.

Last edited:
Back