Was there anything Virginia could have done to keep West Virginia from seceding?

Stone in the wall

Sergeant Major
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
I think the Wheeling area certainly, to this day, has deep ties to both PA & OH.

The cultural divide is now as it was then, the hills and the mountains (not some imaginary line). The folks in far north western Virginia bordering the Ohio and the folks up in the mountains were miners, laborers, small industry, and small farmers. They had much more in common with the folks of south west PA and se OH than they did with the plantation culture in the tidewater region. The idea that there isn’t a distinct Appalachian culture running from SW PA & SE OH through WV & KY then down into East Tennessee (another unionist area) and possibly further is laughable.
Hardly. MCClellan sent Orlando Poe through Eastern Kentucky and Western Va. He reported "that while the inhabitants of eastern Kentucky are loyal, the Western Virginians from the Kentucky line to Parkersburg are rotten, but loyal above the latter point"

atlantis

Sergeant Major
The main point of contention was the failure to redistrict the state senate on the white basis like the house of delegates this would have made the general assembly representative of the general white population of Virginia.

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
Vote wasn’t legal.

Rosecrans chased off all of the Confederates. So the Confederates couldn’t hold West VA. Unionist along with Federal Troops filled the Void. None of these Votes were anything close to Fair. So sentiment will never be known. Same thing in KY, MD and MO. Lincoln would of taken East TN if he could of gotten Troops there.
Sounds a little unconstitutional as to the method used by the administration to make this area into a state. I wonder if they could do that with California ,right now the middle.. West Virginia is nothing but mountain country with no land for large scale plantations . Historical did not this part of Va. always have disagreement with the autocratic Tidewater as to taxes and representation in Richmond? As for Rosecrans ,did not this area become noted for patrician warfare and was this area known as the State of Mosby or was it Morgan,? There were no large scale operation, again what general could take a large army into those mountains, but the patrician warfare was bloody and horrendous as any major battle and may be more personal/ like a civil war with in a civil war. aka the South during the Revolutionary War.

Last edited:

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Vote wasn’t legal.

Rosecrans chased off all of the Confederates. So the Confederates couldn’t hold West VA. Unionist along with Federal Troops filled the Void. None of these Votes were anything close to Fair. So sentiment will never be known. Same thing in KY, MD and MO. Lincoln would of taken East TN if he could of gotten Troops there.
If the US Supreme Court states that the Secession of West Virginia was legal then the Secession was perfectly legal. Anything else is just an opinion.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Vote wasn’t legal.

If the US Supreme Court states that the Secession of West Virginia was legal then the Secession was perfectly legal.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_v._West_Virginia also @CSA Today and @Stone in the wall .
Leftyhunter

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
If the US Supreme Court states that the Secession of West Virginia was legal then the Secession was perfectly legal.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_v._West_Virginia also @CSA Today and @Stone in the wall .
Leftyhunter
Yep, secession was legal as long as it served Yankee interests. Personally, I rather be ruled by an absolute king than a bench of oligarchs. At least with the absolute king, you would only need to deal with one tyrant.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Yep, secession was legal as long as it served Yankee interests. Personally, I rather be ruled by an absolute king than a bench of oligarchs. At least with the absolute king, you would only need to deal with one tyrant.
Good news any body who doesn't like to live in America is free to leave anytime and many Confederate's did just that. If the US Supreme Court decides that the creation of West Virginia was legal then it's settled law and that's to bad for those who opposed it.
Leftyhunter

Stone in the wall

Sergeant Major
Leftyhunter
Hardly a fair vote, legal or not. 17,595 votes were cast for statehood, and that's only 23% of registered voters. Even Ohio county (Wheeling) only 22% of voters cast their votes.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Good news any body who doesn't like to live in America is free to leave anytime and many Confederate's did just that. If the US Supreme Court decides that the creation of West Virginia was legal then it's settled law and that's to bad for those who opposed it.
Leftyhunter

Even better news, as the late New York-born historian Eugene D. Genovese observed: I am devoted to the sentiment expressed in the bumper sticker: Get your heart in Dixie or get your rear out! I substituted one word so not the exact quote, I'll let you guess which one.

“ The South is the region history happened to.”
Richard Weaver

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Leftyhunter
Even better news, as the late New York-born historian Eugene D. Genovese observed: I am devoted to the sentiment expressed in the bumper sticker: Get your heart in Dixie or get your rear out! I substituted one word so not the exact quote, I'll let you guess which one.

Richard Weaver
I have no idea what the term " heart of Dixie" means. Is it a code for white supremacy? Americans are free to move in and out if the American South and can hold whatever politcal options they want.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Leftyhunter

Richard Weaver
I have no idea what the term " heart of Dixie" means. Is it a code for white supremacy? Americans are free to move in and out if the American South and can hold whatever politcal options they want.
Hardly a fair vote, legal or not. 17,595 votes were cast for statehood, and that's only 23% of registered voters. Even Ohio county (Wheeling) only 22% of voters cast their votes.
Per the Supreme Court that's irelevant. That's an issue that should of or was stated by those lawyer's representing the State of Virginia before the US Supreme Court. It's a bit late after well over one hundred years to argue West Virginia should be reunited with Virginia.
Leftyhunter

Stone in the wall

Sergeant Major
Leftyhunter

Per the Supreme Court that's irelevant. That's an issue that should of or was stated by those lawyer's representing the State of Virginia before the US Supreme Court. It's a bit late after well over one hundred years to argue West Virginia should be reunited with Virginia.
Leftyhunter
The 1871 decision of the Supreme Courts in West Va's favor surprised no one. 6 votes (3 members nominated by Lincoln, 2 by Grant)

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter
You can safely assume it has nothing to do with California and Chinese suppression.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
You can safely assume it has nothing to do with California and Chinese suppression.
Come visit the San Gabriel Valley and tell me how oppressed the Chinese are. Chinese immigrants have been coming to the US for a long time especially California so they don't feel all that oppressed.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Come visit the San Gabriel Valley and tell me how oppressed the Chinese are. Chinese immigrants have been coming to the US for a long time especially California so they don't feel all that oppressed.
Leftyhunter
The 1871 decision of the Supreme Courts in West Va's favor surprised no one. 6 votes (3 members nominated by Lincoln, 2 by Grant)
So that's how the cookie crumbles. No US Supreme Court since has reversed the decision.
Leftyhunter

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
If the people posting in this thread have not read Eric's book on it I would highly suggest you do that. This was inevitable, the war was just the match to finally light the powderkeg. They also have a very detailed discussion on the court cases that resulted.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Leftyhunter

So that's how the cookie crumbles. No US Supreme Court since has reversed the decision.
Leftyhunter
There was a recent PBS documentary dealing with the oppression of the Chinese -- especially bad in California.

Stone in the wall

Sergeant Major
Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter
Northern Cookies may crumble, but a Southern Pecan pie sticks together like glue.

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Can any sectional racism really compare with southern oppression of black Americans? I'm not aware of any racist chattel slavery, or the rapes, or the lynchings, of any other race in any other part of the country that compares to what the south did to black Americans.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Leftyhunter
Northern Cookies may crumble, but a Southern Pecan pie sticks together like glue.
Your certainly not referring to the Southern United States.
Leftyhunter