Was the southern states attempt at disunion peaceful?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Was the southern states attempt at disunion peaceful?

• Yes

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Even Anderson was made to believe they were to surrender up until April 4th, 1861.
Anderson also worried that Lincoln was about to provoke a war.

“After an anxious night for Davis and his colleagues, Walker telegraphed to Beauregard the next morning, April 12:What was Major Anderson’s reply to the proposition contained in my dispatch of last night?” “The anxiety was lessened a little when the mail brought a fat envelope from Governor Pickens. No longer could there be the slightest doubt that the recent notice to the governor, purported from Lincoln, veritably had come from him. Here was proof. Governor Pickens enclosed letters which Anderson had dispatched to Washington but which the Confederate authorities had seized. In one of these letters, from Anderson to his superiors in Washington, he acknowledged receipt of the communication, telling him that an expedition was on the way to Sumter. “(It is just as well, for Anderson’s reputation in the North, that this letter did not get to Washington. In it, Anderson expressed surprise and chagrin. He predicted “most disastrous results” throughout the country. He went on to say: “my heart is not in the war which I see is to be thus commenced.” So wrote the man whom Northerners soon were to hail as the first hero of the war’s first battle!)”

Richard N. Current, Lincoln and the First Shot, pp 152-153.

Status
Not open for further replies.