Was the Fall of Atlanta Inevitable?

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
Was the fall of Atlanta inevitable or was there some way that the Confederates could have successfully held the city until after the November election?

I think the attacks that Hood carried out were reasonably well planned but not so well executed.....I'm not sure any other general could have done much better. The only other alternative for the Confederates was to occupy the Atlanta defenses and hope to hold them until after the election. I honestly don't think Hood had enough men to hold for very long against what Sherman could bring against him....so for all practical purposes the fall of Atlanta was inevitable.....at least it was once Sherman crossed the Chattahoochee.

I cant say it was inevitable because nothing is a total certainty in war, but it was unlikely, Sherman had practically all the cards in his favor during that campaign. Had the Cassville affair, or Peachtree Creek or another one or two of Hood's battles been better executed by the Confederates then the fall would have been delayed at least, but Sherman had to be defeated to save Atlanta and he was far too sensible and cautious a general to give favorable odds for anyone to defeat him in those circumstances.

I think Atlanta's fate was sealed when Grant routed the Confederates at Missionary Ridge in November 1863. I don't see any way the city doesn't fall no matter who is commanding the Confederate forces in the west after that. Its a wonder it didn't fall sooner. If Sherman subordinates had been a little more spirited it probably would have.

Hood inherited a hopeless situation when he replaced Johnston.all he did was stall the inevitable with his agressive tactica he learned in ANV under Lee and Stonewall.

The fall was inevitable because Sherman just had to many troops. Hoods attacks did not plan out the way he anticipated. Even if the attacks were successful the casualties would have hit Hood harder than Sherman.

Back