Was the disability of Varicose veins common?

Ellen19731

Cadet
I found out that a distant family member who was a Union soldier received pension for varicose veins in both legs. He was discharged for a disability. Was this common for soldiers to be discharged for this? What were the main causes of getting varicose veins. Is it a serious condition?

From what I've read, soldiers got varicose veins from intense marching and sometimes after receiving bullet wounds.

Varicose veins can be genetic. Obviously he wasn't pregnant! But they can also be caused by tumors, constipation, obesity and/or run in families or he may have had untreated (and unknowable) high-blood pressure. They didn't have any way to know if he had high-blood pressure nor any way to treat it.

But they did know that varicose veins are made much worse by sitting or standing for long periods of time. They can ache and throb because the veins are all twisty and enlarged so the valves in the veins aren't closing properly. These veins can ulcerate if near the surface and if really near the surface can sometimes burst. So, the docs in the army would have wanted him out. How common this was, I don't know. Laura might know because she has seen a lot more discharge reasons that I have for sure.

Welcome to the forums from New Hampshire!

I found out that a distant family member who was a Union soldier received pension for varicose veins in both legs. He was discharged for a disability. Was this common for soldiers to be discharged for this? What were the main causes of getting varicose veins. Is it a serious condition?

From what I've read, soldiers got varicose veins from intense marching and sometimes after receiving bullet wounds.

In the 19th century, typhoid was a common cause of varicose viens as well.

Varicose viens can be quite debilitating. Major Eugene Blackford of the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment suffered with varicose viens after contracting typhoid during the war. He was court martialed after the Battle of Cedar Creek in October 1864.

He was charged with “Absence Without Leave” and “Misbehaviour Before The Enemy”. During the battle, Blackford had been in command of the Brigade Sharpshooters. His bout with Typhoid Fever had left him with very painful, varicose veins in his legs and torso. At times it was difficult to walk or ride his horse. After the Battle of Fisher’s Hill on September 22, 1864, he had gone home briefly to Lynchburg for further treatment on his legs, which continued to trouble him. He had returned just before the Battle of Cedar Creek with little improvement, unable to walk any distance. Yet characteristically, he had refused to stay in camp during the battle, instead joining the march with Gordon’s men around the Union flank. Following standing orders, he had dismounted when the attack began, but the Brigades’ advance had been so rapid, that he was unable to keep pace due to the crippling pain. Although he eventually rejoined the regiment north of Middletown, Blackford was caught up in the army’s general collapse and spent the night on the field evading Yankee patrols. The Court-Martial found him guilty and he was subsequently dismissed from the service on November 3, 1864. Blackford was angry and mortified. He was certain that the charges had more to do with jealousy and ambition of his fellow officers, rather than a reflection of his ability as a soldier.

In early 1865, he was reinstated by order of President Davis.

My great grandfather developed varicose veins during the Civil War and my great grandmother filed a claim in 1880, after his death, for widows benefits based on his disability caused by varicose veins and chronic nephritis, chronic diarrhea, and jaundice. He was apparently a healthy young farmer when he went to war but developed these chronic conditions during the war and when he returned he was unable to return to farming.

Back