Was the civil war constitutional

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Kelly

Corporal
Shows scope, purpose, intent

Thats not what you said. You said it granted authority to wage war against a state. Quite wrong, obviously, so now you are trying to move the goalposts. Not having it.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Can you please show me where the Constitution grants the federal government the authority to support you unfounded assertion that it may wage war against a state?
It has been pointed out to you numerous times that the US Constitution allows for the suppression of a rebellion. Unless you can provide documentation from statutory or case law that there is even such a legal concept as "war against a state" then your concept of "war against a state" us merely a legal fiction.
Leftyhunter

ebg12

Corporal
Thats not what you said. You said it granted authority to wage war against a state. Quite wrong, obviously, so now you are trying to move the goalposts. Not having it.
The south lost the war, and non one can ever change that.

Kelly

Corporal
It has been pointed out to you numerous times that the US Constitution allows for the suppression of a rebellion. Unless you can provide documentation from statutory or case law that there is even such a legal concept as "war against a state" then your concept of "war against a state" us merely a legal fiction.
Leftyhunter

It has been pointed out to you many, many times that the president has zero authority to suspend habeas corpus. Now, if you have found that power in Article II, show it to me. Otherwise, like you said, just go ahead and pull the plug.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
How man British subjects opposed the lawless rebels and stayed loyal to their King and Country and fought against the violent, slave-owning, slave-trafficking insurrectionists in 1776? Got those numbers?
Certainly thousands but still outnumbered by the rebels. Slavery was legal in the British Empire until 1837 do not seeing how slavery is a relevant issue in terms of Tories vs Rebels.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It has been pointed out to you many, many times that the president has zero authority to suspend habeas corpus. Now, if you have found that power in Article II, show it to me. Otherwise, like you said, just go ahead and pull the plug.
That is absolutely false and has been shown to you many times to be false . You have yet to cite any case or statutory law to support your unsourced assertions.
Leftyhunter

Kelly

Corporal
Certainly thousands but still outnumbered by the rebels. Slavery was legal in the British Empire until 1837 do not seeing how slavery is a relevant issue in terms of Tories vs Rebels.
Leftyhunter

Agree with that principle. Indeed, slavery was perfectly legal in both the USA and the CSA. Cant possibly see how it was even remotely connected to The War For Confederate Independence.

Kelly

Corporal
That is absolutely false and has been shown to you many times to be false . You have yet to cite any case or statutory law to support your unsourced assertions.
Leftyhunter

That is perfectly true and you still refuse to show me the power to suspend in Article II. Just show it to me, and you win the argument. Hands down. If you don't, you lose. Hands down.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Agree with that principle. Indeed, slavery was perfectly legal in both the USA and the CSA. Cant possibly see how it was even remotely connected to The War For Confederate Independence.
You might want to read the various Ordinances of Secession and the speech's of Secessionists. @jgoodguy can direct you to numerous threads about that subject. We have threads on what Secessionists actually said. Would you like to read what they actually said?
Leftyhunter

Kelly

Corporal
It has pointed out to you that article II, section 2 enumerates the powers of the president. Now, show me the power to suspend in Article II. If it was there, you wound't hesitate. And we both know it.

Kelly

Corporal
You might want to read the various Ordinances of Secession and the speech's of Secessionists. @jgoodguy can direct you to numerous threads about that subject. We have threads on what Secessionists actually said. Would you like to read what they actually said?
Leftyhunter

You might want to read the Ordinances of Secession. Not a single one of them was a declaration of war. And what they actually said was they were exercising their rights to political independence. Just like the white-supremacist, slave-owning, rebels of 1776 did.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It has pointed out to you that article II, section 2 enumerates the powers of the president. Now, show me the power to suspend in Article II. If it was there, you wound't hesitate. And we both know it.
The fact is Congress authorized the suspension of habeus corpus by the President in 1863 and had no issues with prior suspension of habeus corpus.
Leftyhunter

Kelly

Corporal
The fact is Congress authorized the suspension of habeus corpus by the President in 1863 and had no issues with prior suspension of habeus corpus.
Leftyhunter

The fact is that Lincoln lawlessly suspended habeus corpus on his own authority. Thats the fact.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
For the one hundredth time you have not cited any case law to support your assertion.
Leftyhunter

Kelly

Corporal
For the one hundredth time you have not cited any case law to support your assertion.
Leftyhunter

For the 10,000th time, please show me here Article II grants authority to suspend habeas corpus. Or pull the plug. I'll take either.