Restricted Was the civil war constitutional

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
You either know who said the quote and are simply not listing the name out of error or speed or you don't know who said the quote and cannot provide who said it.

Be a mench and provide your source.
Tis not his purpose UB. We are faced with an imitation of A shrine. :frown: But, we may take heart that so far... not many from the real South.. . here, have "like ed " him much, so far.

Play Dixie For Me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kelly

Corporal
Indeed. Legality and Constitutional means was decided in the one arena all agreed on.

Trial by combat.

Interesting. Just like slavery itself was decided by trial by combat. The slave-owners won and the slaves lost. No cause for complaint by anyone.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
@jgoodguy ,

Thank you for providing the above two sources.

I am sure members of this honorable forum appreciate you taking the time and effort to do such so that they may decide for themselves the question posed by this thread OP based on information from the period.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Last edited:

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
i have a question, was the civil war constitutional? if not how can you prove it? did the south legally secede? thanks

If not already suggested, you should read Lincoln's 'Address to Congress in Special Session' 4 July 1861. He describes everrything he did and Why.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
i have a question, was the civil war constitutional? if not how can you prove it? did the south legally secede? thanks

The authority and power to secede from the Federal Union, unilaterally, is not a clearly expressed part of the Constitution of the United States.

Outside the Constitution(Law) there is only anarchy or tyranny. Thus, there is no provision in the Organic Law of the Land, for the exercise of any power or authority, not provided by the Constitution and its laws.

P.S. The Silence of the Constitution, must conform to the clearly expressed powers in that Constitution and its Laws.