Was sending Wade Hampton to Joe Johnston a mistake?

Kentucky Derby Cavalier.

First Sergeant
My last post was about Lee's Appomattox Campaign, If Wade Hampton and his Cavalry Corp are present does it make a difference? Wade cuts off Ord?
appo.png

Thanks Amazon had them both as June 29th but figured we didn't have solid dates yet. I am really, really looking forward to the Tullahoma book.

Me too!

Unfortunately, Dave's friend the cartographer has had issues. His wife has cancer, and he's the caregiver, so he didn't deliver the maps timely. Given the circumstances, we didn't feel like we could kick up a fuss about it, but it means that the project was delayed. This time, the delay is not on S-B.

Vote Here:
Me too!

Unfortunately, Dave's friend the cartographer has had issues. His wife has cancer, and he's the caregiver, so he didn't deliver the maps timely. Given the circumstances, we didn't feel like we could kick up a fuss about it, but it means that the project was delayed. This time, the delay is not on S-B.

Hal Jespersen?

Vote Here:
I'm reading Lee's Last Retreat and had a similar thought to the OP: Hampton seemed sorely missed during Appomattox.

Fitz Lee had 8 brigades, but apparently failed to recognize Union cavalry could reach Appomattox Station when they did and I don't get the impression he was very effective screening the ANV retreat.

That said, I agree with the posts saying it wouldn't have mattered much given the condition of the cavalry especially compared to their Union counterparts. The condition of the roads didn't seem to help much either. Slipping through the Union's grasp at Appomattox wouldn't stop the ANV's slow disintegration.

Vote Here:
My last post was about Lee's Appomattox Campaign, If Wade Hampton and his Cavalry Corp are present does it make a difference? Wade cuts off Ord?View attachment 360055
I learned a lot about the morale and the conditions of the soldiers from reading W. McLendon’s “War Recollections “. He provides insights into Furloughs and the magnitude of the problem from desertions in 1865. It is an enjoyable read.

Vote Here:
Back