Was Robert E. Lee prepared to sacrifice his life for the Confederate cause ?

Rio Bravo

First Sergeant
In the last year of the war, he had 5 times intentionally placed himself in harm’s way to pull his Men through near catastrophe on the battlefield. In each instance - Once at the Wilderness, 3 times at Spotsylvania Court House, and Once at Sailor’s Creek. Each time the Men in his Army convinced Lee to turn back. Each of these moments reveals something of Lee’s character, his generalship, and his overall thinking about the art of command. What does everyone think about this ?

When you raise your right hand and swear To support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic you've written a check to this country that death may possibly cash. And while it can certainly be argued that Lee violated this oath, it was true then and it's true now and Lee was not any different (blue or grey) than the millions of Americans that have pledged their lives to this country's welfare before or since.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
I think Lee knew a significant truth about the men in his army, just as I learned that truth 150 years during my own service with the army.

Soldiers know when they are being lied to.

It's not that they are any smarter than their leaders or regular folks, it's just when they are in the ranks being lectured to by their leaders, they know what's true and what isn't. Maybe it's a deeply buried survival instinct, maybe it's because military life strips one's self down to the bare animal instincts, but they know.

When I was a First Sergeant calling my company to attention in formation and watching them when a high-ranking officer from division would come down for an inspection and 'talk,' I could always tell the instant the soldiers would "turn him off" when he began trying to lie to them. It wasn't that they were bored and set their minds to wandering (although that did happen at other times), but there was almost a universal switch the soldiers would activate when the tall tales began or they knew they were "in for it" because this high hat needed them to do something very unpleasant.

I think Lee knew that he could not lie to his men, ask them to do things that would bring about horrible injury and even death, without telling them the truth. Part of that truth had to be in his actions too in the face or real danger. Yes, he probably knew he had to "put on a show" once in a while for them, but when the chips were done and it was all in, so was Lee and his men knew it.

In my 20 years of military service, I have known two officers I would have done anything for because of their courage, care and concern for their men and I and those men knew it. Lee was even more rare, in my opinion, knowing what it took to get those men to trust him with their lives.

He wouldn't lie to them.

Just some thoughts,
Unionblue
That is a very good post Union Blue - Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us !

Vote Here:
When you raise your right hand and swear To support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic you've written a check to this country that death may possibly cash. And while it can certainly be argued that Lee violated this oath, it was true then and it's true now and Lee was not any different (blue or grey) than the millions of Americans that have pledged their lives to this country's welfare before or since.

@redbob ,

God's truth.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Vote Here:
Back