Longstreet Was Longstreet Made a Scapegoat?

Where is your evidence?
i have presented evidence that longstreet was nominated by chapman of alabama. that was not longstreet's home nor was chapman his congressman, he had even quit visiting his mom by then, so unless he had some sort of service-connected nomination then his nomination was invalid according to west point's requirements. i have fibbed about my own kids true residence to get them in better school districts. these are facts according to west point and wert. it is a trivial thing and not my main concern, but it helps illustrate longstreet's character farther down the road. his treason was a different case than that of his fellows and his party switch to political prominence is the exclamation point.
What is required is evidence a qualified applicant from Alabama existed who lost an appointment due to Longstreet getting his appointment. An actual person, not a possible person.
wrong. what is required is evidence that longstreet fudged on his application. i have done so.

i have presented evidence that longstreet was nominated by chapman of alabama. that was not longstreet's home nor was chapman his congressman, he had even quit visiting his mom by then, so unless he had some sort of service-connected nomination then his nomination was invalid according to west point's requirements. i have fibbed about my own kids true residence to get them in better school districts. these are facts according to west point and wert. it is a trivial thing and not my main concern, but it helps illustrate longstreet's character farther down the road. his treason was a different case than that of his fellows and his party switch to political prominence is the exclamation point.

wrong. what is required is evidence that longstreet fudged on his application. i have done so.
Where have you done so?

Surely you have a source for your statement? A book, or newspaper etc?

pickett lived and worked and studied law in Ill.

Pickett was appointed by one of his uncle's buddies.

You haven't supported your claim that Longstreet's appointment violated West Point's rules.
You haven't supported your claim that an Alabama applicant lost an appointment due to Longstreet getting an appointment.

Surely you have a source for your statement? A book, or newspaper etc?
i believe i cited wert in the very post that you just replied to. i provided a link in another post.
You claimed there was another applicant who lost out because of Longstreet.
i stand corrected . i did say that and it is an assumption. alabama does not seem to have had a shortage of applicants , though, according to west point admission records (i'm not looking for the stats again) . george rains was also in the 1842 class from alabama but born in NC. but he lived and worked there in AL.
longstreet used the influence of not only of his uncle but also Gov. McDuffie and John Calhoun of SC where the three families had an intimate history.
this would be fine enough except James Longstreet nor any of the other players except his mother and Chapman were Alabamians . longstreet had quit seeing his mom and probably did not know chapman beforehand, and claimed to be a georgian.
so longstreet used his georgia uncle to petition south carolina officials to get a nomination from an alabama congressman. a state in which he did not live or ever lived in.
this smells of nepotism, cronyism, payola, and may have been in violation of west point's eligibility and admission policy. applicants were intended to be from the district in which they lived, that is why they associate applications with congressional districts. there are exceptions for POTUS OR VEEP nominations or service related nominations. the rest are supposed to live in the district from which they are nominated and longstreet did not. pickett did. rains did.

Nice to let us know when you are napping, but I'd be posting
sleep.gif
6-8 times a day.

Sources are great, but these are the current requirements for appointment. I suspect those requirements have been amended a time or three since the 1800's. What we need here is a source that states those requirements for that period, say 1825-1860, in question.
Good point, also an analysis of how those requirements were violated with evidence.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ld5l4WNuk5wC&pg=PA329&lpg=PA329&dq=1843+law+concerning+united+states+military+academy&source=bl&ots=jc4hzVEQ0A&sig=Widvbu5ZcJ-JvZOh2PvRFNeLMXc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-0pa0va_XAhUJbSYKHa-pC_wQ6AEIRDAF#v=onepage&q=1843 law concerning united states military academy&f=false

this report was in 1910 by general staff, chief of staff, Bell and secretary of war , Oliver. they reference the 1843 act which specifies how cadets must apply and the requirements of application. i can not find a copy of the law but it is referenced many times from different sources.
in one report i read , it actually said the applicant must be "domiciled" in their district. now i'm done with this and have provided plenty of references for anyone wanting to carry this farther.
looking back to my july posts in this thread i am most interested in the unique treason aspect of longstreet's career.

edit for more sources:
https://www.schumer.senate.gov/students/academy/

https://books.google.com/books?id=r...gress in 1843 west point requirements&f=false

Last edited:
Back