Was Lincolns war for ending slavery or maintaining the Union

Was Lincolns war for ending slavery or maintaining the Union ?

• Total voters

Dixie Boy

Private
I argue it was to maintain the Union and that he did disapprove of Slavery he had no intention of ending it where it already was. I'll add some quotes below that better explain my point.

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position
assigned to the white race.” (Abraham Lincoln, September 18, 1858)

“... my paramount object is in this struggle is to save the Union and is not either to save or destroy slavery” (Lincoln).

"If I could save the union without freeing any slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." (Lincoln).

"I say that we must not interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists, because the constitution forbids it, and the general welfare does not require us to do so." (Lincoln).

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so".(Lincoln)

Back