Was John Brown a Saintly Man?

• yes

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • no

Votes: 123 83.1%
  • don't know

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Actually you seemed to imply he was only convicted by race, or why mention it? When the reality was it was an open and shut case, and the evidence never really in dispute........I have no idea where you draw "Secessionists siezed federal Arsenal's but no complaints from you on that." from, as I've never said any such thing at all.......I suppose this is another of your claims people said something, yet cant provide any evidence of it all.

He was a murderer and a traitor, the evidence is clear......if your idea of "saints" are murderers and traitors your entitled I reckon......just don't try to pretend they weren't traitors and murderers, he was by the law then, and he still would be by law today, thats the reality

Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. Of course any "Saint" would know 1 John 3:4
Yet you in past threads praised Quantril for the Lawrence Massacre. You praised Confederate Bushwackers in Missouri who killed civilians. That's fine but in the same vein we can throw a little love to John Brown.
Race has everything to do with jury's any good defense lawyer will tell you that. There is case law on the subject of racial composition of juries. White men have murdered black men in cold blood and all white juries let them go.
Leftyhunter

Rankin played a HUGE role in freeing slaves as a MAJOR conductor in the underground railroad in Ripley, Ohio. He also tried to integrate his school and when that didn't work, he taught the negros in his home. He and his wife also "adopted" and raised a negro girl along with their own as one of their own children. That says a huge amount to me for his character. He walked the talk without committing atrocities.
That's all well and good that he helped slaves escape. JB did one better and actually freed slaves. JB did work on the Underground railroad but the UR was not going to end slavery only violence would.
Leftyhunter

Actually you seemed to imply he was only convicted by race, or why mention it? When the reality was it was an open and shut case, and the evidence never really in dispute........I have no idea where you draw "Secessionists siezed federal Arsenal's but no complaints from you on that." from, as I've never said any such thing at all.......I suppose this is another of your claims people said something, yet cant provide any evidence of it all.

He was a murderer and a traitor, the evidence is clear......if your idea of "saints" are murderers and traitors your entitled I reckon......just don't try to pretend they weren't traitors and murderers, he was by the law then, and he still would be by law today, thats the reality

Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. Of course any "Saint" would know 1 John 3:4
Brown was never a traitor . Brown never tried to secede from the US. Brown did try to establish an armed sanctuary for slaves but that didn't pan out.
If Brown is a traitor and a murder how are Lee, Jackson and others who fought for slavery morally superior?
Leftyhunter

You can't know that. If the Missouri compromise hadn't come along, things might have turned out differently. This is Brass Napolean's thought, not mine, but John Brown's actions played directly into the fire eaters and a level or two below. John Brown's actions did NOT help the slaves.
Certainly I can know that. In history there are no what ifs. We can discuss what ifs which is common on CWT but in reality there are no what ifs.
The fact of the matter is that slaves in the New World experienced violence and only through violence were they freed.
The UR didn't end Slavery the Union Army did and not by hugs and kisses.
Leftyhunter

Brown grew up with a strong Puritan faith.

Means he was a Yankee, nothing else. Lots of Yankees in Jail and Hell!

He murdered the Doyle’s who were Southerners, had no connection to Slavery. He also stole from people who he claimed were connected to Slavery, because he wanted their Property. So, I guess he gets a pass because some think his heart was in the right place.

Brown was never a traitor . Brown never tried to secede from the US. Brown did try to establish an armed sanctuary for slaves but that didn't pan out.
If Brown is a traitor and a murder how are Lee, Jackson and others who fought for slavery morally superior?
Leftyhunter
Brown purposely attracted a US installation, which is an attack on the US, which is treason.

I don't know, as your the one saying Lee and Jackson was morally superior, your false arguments do nothing to detract from Brown was a traitor and a murderer. Is this why you wish to talk about anyone but Brown? But frankly Lee, Jackson, or Quantrill have nothing to do with this thread. It's simply smoke and mirror distractions to talk about anything besides his actual guilt......Which everyone knows, as its never been disputed.

Last edited:
Yet you in past threads praised Quantril for the Lawrence Massacre. You praised Confederate Bushwackers in Missouri who killed civilians. That's fine but in the same vein we can throw a little love to John Brown.
Race has everything to do with jury's any good defense lawyer will tell you that. There is case law on the subject of racial composition of juries. White men have murdered black men in cold blood and all white juries let them go.
Leftyhunter
I have never said Quantrill wasn't a murderer at all. So again you resort to false arguments. I've said the opposite many times here. And I have never falsely compared to him as a "saint" either.

Again race had nothing to do with Browns guilt, and guilt is why he was convicted. Your just saying falsehoods doesn't make them true by just countlessly repeating them. If you think Brown was unjustly convicted, actually present some evidence of innocence as to how he wasn't there, didn't attack the arsenal, and didn't murder free blacks, otherwise it's quite evident why he was convicted, and it wasn't race at all.

Last edited:
Brown purposely attracted a US installation, which is an attack on the US, which is treason.

I don't know, as your the one saying Lee and Jackson was morally superior, your false arguments do nothing to detract from Brown was a traitor and a murderer. Is this why you wish to talk about anyone but Brown? But frankly Lee, Jackson, or Quantrill have nothing to do with this thread. It's simply smoke and mirror distractions to talk about anything besides his actual guilt......Which everyone knows, as its never been disputed.

Should we condemn the Confederacy for raiding the Harpers Ferry arsenal ?

Basically they followed Brown's example.

Should we condemn the Confederacy for raiding the Harpers Ferry arsenal ?

Basically they followed Brown's example.
So is your point both were wrong? Or is your point the Confederacy was "saints"too?

It's your thread, where are you going with it?

But seems a bit like lefty trying to change the subject off Brown.......

Last edited:
Again, you just can't escape this fact: Over 80% of those who vote do not view Brown as a saintly man.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.56.51 PM.png

Back