Lincoln Was Jefferson Davis in the plot to assasinate Lincoln?

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
davisjeff2.jpg

Jefferson Davis appointed two men (Jacob Thompson and Clement Clay) to head the Confederate Secret Service in February 1864.
----$5 million appropriated by Confederate Congress to fund CSS
----Operations based largely in Canada

The Confederate Secret Service planned or engaged in numerous acts of terrorism or biological warfare.
---Raid on St. Alban's, Vermont
---Fires started in New York City hotels (Election Day plot of 1864)
---Plot to poison New York City water supply
---Plot to infect Union soldiers and citizens with smallpox and yellow fever
---Plot to kidnap Lincoln and hold until Confederate soldiers released
---Plot to blow up White House

Do you believe that J.W. Booth was affiliated with the CSS and that Davis secretly authorized the plot to kill Lincoln?

View attachment 25015

Jefferson Davis appointed two men (Jacob Thompson and Clement Clay) to head the Confederate Secret Service in February 1864.
----$5 million appropriated by Confederate Congress to fund CSS
----Operations based largely in Canada

The Confederate Secret Service planned or engaged in numerous acts of terrorism or biological warfare.

Do you believe that J.W. Booth was affiliated with the CSS and that Davis secretly authorized the plot to kill Lincoln?

No prof that I've ever heard of but it is interesting that several pages were ripped out of Booth's "journal/notebook" & missing. Did he destroy evidence of Confederate secret service involvement, or were these pages destroyed to eliminate incriminating evidence of a some other conspiracy? I've never read anything that convinces me of any further involvement from the Confederate Government. However, conspiracy theories do & will abound. I even read a theory that Stanton was involved & it was a attempted coup. People will come up with all kinds of baloney :nah disagree: Unfortunately, sometimes great men are killed by not so great men. That's the truth. That's hard to except that Lincoln & Kennedy were killed by turds... so we look for conspiracies, IMHO.

...The Confederate Secret Service planned or engaged in numerous acts of terrorism or biological warfare.

I'd be interested in seeing what evidence you have that the Confederate Secret Service planned or engaged in the last 4 mentioned items. As far as I know, there is no evidence that Davis was involved in the plot to assassinate Lincoln. It appears to have been hatched entirely by Booth.

I can't imagine Davis had anything to do with it due just to the logistics of the whole thing.

The strongest evidence that the Booth Conspiracy was not part of the Confederate Secret Service was that Booth succeeded in the main part of in the mission, killing Lincoln. The other attempts were botched, perhaps support the CSS affiliation. Even St. Alban's was lame.
Could it be that the Confederate Secret Service's failures were due to Bragg being secretly in charge ?

Nah. If they had found even the slightest connection between Booth and Davis they would have hung him from the tallest tree in D.C.

Or "they" would have covered it up to keep the country from exploding into violence against all Confederates. The whole point of fighting a war to unite the country would have been undermined had "the truth" come out. The same would be true had the John Birch Society conspired to assassinate Kennedy. They would have covered it up to prevent another civil war.

Of course, this is all just speculation, conspiracy theory b.s.... but ya never know...

Last edited:
No prof that I've ever heard of but it is interesting that several pages were ripped out of Booth's "journal/notebook" & missing. Did he destroy evidence of Confederate secret service involvement, or were these pages destroyed to eliminate incriminating evidence of a some other conspiracy? I've never read anything that convinces me of any further involvement from the Confederate Government. However, conspiracy theories do & will abound. I even read a theory that Stanton was involved & it was a attempted coup. People will come up with all kinds of baloney :nah disagree: Unfortunately, sometimes great men are killed by not so great men. That's the truth. That's hard to except that Lincoln & Kennedy were killed by turds... so we look for conspiracies, IMHO.

Haven't you ever been out in the woods without tp? :smile:

It seems so, so far fetched, doesn't it? When you read of the whole thing, Booth's ego being so ridiculous, he wished to ' serve ' the Confederacy, but not to actually go out and heft a rifle, get dirty, like those who DID something about their commitment. He wanted to be important, make a big splash- just seems to me if he had anything to do with THE President, he'd have spilled to pretty much anyone willing to listen. That crew he recruited, kind of credulous mouth breathers, hardly the quality of men expected to be serving under some secret orders, with an ex-military leader like Jefferson Davis involved. He'd been a good one, too, and it seems to me also that someone who just could not bring himself to delegate authority like Davis was hardly going to allow his authority on something THIS important, should he be involved, be handed to someone with zero experience, zero military background, and a bunch of unknowns.

Just doesn't make sense, that's all.

My sister has a shiny leaves story that's pretty painful to hear. Or pretty funny, depending on how mad I am that day.

Back