Was it acceptable for officers to shoot their own men if they retreated?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
On September 16 1777 General Peter Muhenberg wrote in his orderly book the following: In the future whenever the Men are formed for action...the Brigarders and officers Commanding Regiments are also to post some good officers in the Rear, to keep Men in Order, and if in Time of Action, any man who is not wounded whether he has arms or not, turns his back to the Enemy and Attempts to run away, or retreat before Orders are given for it, those Officers are instantly to put him to death. The Man does not deserve to live who basely flies, breaks his Solemn engagements and betrays his Country.

So during the American Revolution it was acceptable for officers to instantly put to death solders who fled in battle. Was this still acceptable during the Civil War? If, so more than a few Civil War soldiers could have suffered this fate.

We hear of officers during the Civil War who threatened to shoot soldiers if they ran, but how many did so? Was it even legal to do so? Should officers have the right to immediately kill soldiers who ran in battle?

I am guessing officers shooting or killing fleeing soldiers was rare during the Civil War.

I am not sure I could have shot any of my solders. However, I did have a couple of men and women which it would have not hurt my feelings too much is somehow a live hand grenade would have rolled under our fuel tanker and "accidentally" exploded as they fueled their vehicle. I would have wrote a very kind letter to their families explaining the sad accident.
Todays world we grew (well did im 50 to short not a vey want to here in 89 what I got … im 4'll" then and today ) Some can do it others cant not talking basic but combat …. I thank you family there in both … Much respect and thank you for your service

Vote Here:
On September 16 1777 General Peter Muhenberg wrote in his orderly book the following: In the future whenever the Men are formed for action...the Brigarders and officers Commanding Regiments are also to post some good officers in the Rear, to keep Men in Order, and if in Time of Action, any man who is not wounded whether he has arms or not, turns his back to the Enemy and Attempts to run away, or retreat before Orders are given for it, those Officers are instantly to put him to death. The Man does not deserve to live who basely flies, breaks his Solemn engagements and betrays his Country.

So during the American Revolution it was acceptable for officers to instantly put to death solders who fled in battle. Was this still acceptable during the Civil War? If, so more than a few Civil War soldiers could have suffered this fate.

We hear of officers during the Civil War who threatened to shoot soldiers if they ran, but how many did so? Was it even legal to do so? Should officers have the right to immediately kill soldiers who ran in battle?

I am guessing officers shooting or killing fleeing soldiers was rare during the Civil War.

I am not sure how the following account relates to the topic. It did not occur during the Civil War and the officer did not actually shoot the soldier. Reading this thread somehow makes me uncomfortable and brings this memory back.

My Dad told me this, probably about the time he was 85 or so. His division had been in the battle on Leyte in late 1944 and this was on Okinawa in 1945. They landed April 1st and the campaign ended in late June. My feeling is this happened roughly late in May or early June, about the time they were assaulting the Shuri Line. Dad was 1st Sgt. in an infantry company. The Captain here was part of the original cadre of the division stateside and served through the end of the war. At the 50th Division Reunion, the Captain was the most highly decorated man present (I recall he had a Silver Star and I think a DSC).

Dad was talking to the Captain early one day. They were about to move forward to attack, so somewhere near dawn, I guess. One of the soldiers, I think a replacement they had received on Okinawa, came up and interrupted them.

The soldier said he "had to go back". The Captain told him no, they were about to move out. The soldier said the Captain didn't understand, that he "had to go back". The Captain told him no, they needed every man, and ordered him back to his squad.

The soldier shouted that he "had to go back!". He took his M-1 and shot himself in the foot. He fell to the ground, screaming and bleeding.

My Dad told me the Captain, who was from a strong religious background and Dad had never, ever heard use a bad word, let loose with a string of blue language. The Captain ended by saying he would be damned if he'd waste a couple of good men bringing this ... man back. He told the soldier to find his own way and ordered the company to move. They left the soldier there in the dirt.

Dad told me no more than that this was the last time he saw that soldier. I assume he lived and did get back to an aid station. Dad would have known, since he had to deal with the paperwork.

As I said at the start, this isn't from the Civil War and the officer doesn't actually shoot the soldier. It seems related, though, the sort of situation that could lead to an officer shooting a soldier if he had not done it himself first. Reading this discussion, I could not get it out of my mind.

Vote Here:
I am currently reading Chancellorsville by Stephen Sears. Just read this account of Union officers attempting to arrest the panicked retreat of the Eleventh Corps following Jackson's flanking attack.

"The high command's greatest concern was that the Eleventh Corps' contagion would affect other units, and encounters became episodes of danger and even death. William Aughinbaugh of the 5th Ohio, Slocum's corps, was in line trying to arrest the flight "and had succeeded in stopping several hundred, when a large party came up and fired into us and rushed through us,...scattering the men in every direction." According to private Cody of Dilger's battery, "Gen. Hooker soon ordered the 12th corps to kill every man that run in the 11th. I saw a number of officers and privates shot trying to break through the guard. It served them right..." General Williams saw Joe Dickinson of Hooker's staff "riding fiercely about, pistol in hand, and occasionally discharging it at some flying Dutchman." Sergeant Lucius Swift of the 28th New York recorded that on orders "four or five were shot down. Colonel Cook was a dead shot and I saw him shoot one with a navy revolver at twenty rods; the man fell on his face. When they saw we were in earnest, they stopped..."

Vote Here:
Back