Grant Was Grant surprised at Shiloh?

Was Grant surprised at Shiloh?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Cavalry Charger your post above with the quote:
"Buell reported that even on the morning of 6 April, after Grant's departure for the battle, the impression at Grant's headquarters in Savannah was that the firing was only another skirmish. Sherman was even less easily convinced. In his memoirs, he confessed: About 8 a.m. I saw the glistening bayonets of heavy masses of infantry to our left front in the wood beyond the small stream alluded to, and became satisfied for the first time that the enemy designed a determined attack on our whole camp."

These are just observations of mine
Hardcastle's Mississippians had collided with various companies of Peabody's Brigade at about 5:45 in Wolf and Fraley Fields, less than a mile from Sherman's Headquarters. I find it difficult that he would not be aware of the Confederate assault till 8 a. m. as mentioned in his Official Report of April 10:
"About 8 a. m. I saw the glistening bayonets of heavy masses of infantry to our left front in the woods beyond the small stream alluded to, and became satisfied for the first time that the enemy designed a determined attack on our whole camp."
Nearly 2 hours, later after he sent a request for support from General McClerand and warnings to Generals Prentiss and Hurlburt, he is certain of "a determined attack?" Seems very odd and
counterintuitive to me.

Earlier in his report he writes
"On Sunday morning early, the 6th instant, the enemy drove our advance guard back on the main body, when I ordered under arms my division, and sent word to General McClernand asking him to support my left; to General Prentiss, giving him notice that the enemy was in our front in force, and to General Hurlbut, asking him to support General Prentiss. At that time (7 a.m.) my division was arranged as follows..."
The "About 8 a. m. ..." quote refers to the time at which the enemy is attacking the camp
So he was earlier aware of the enemy presence and that they had pushed his guards back - just because there was fighting between advance guards/detachments etc doesnt indicate a general assault. Doesnt seem odd to me.

@NedBaldwin
Fair point but his belief that the Confederates "designed anything but a strong demonstration" indicates to me his over overcondfidence and a continual denial that Johnston would dare attack him!

I am providing the first part of Sherman's report just prior to your quote which I beleive assists my view.
Respectfully
David

Report of Brig. Gen. Willam T. Sherman, U. S. Army, commanding Fifth
Division.
Headquarters Fifth Division,
Camp Shiloh, April 10,1862.
Sir : I have the honor to report that on Friday, the 4th instant, the enemy’s cavalry drove in our pickets posted about a mile and a half in advance of my center, on the main Corinth road, capturing 1 first lieutenant and 7 men; that I caused a pursuit by the cavalry of my division, driving them back about 5 many
On Saturday the enlmy’s cavalry was again very bold, coming well down to our front, yet I did not believe that he designed anything but a strong demonstration.

I think it's fair to say the union commanders at Shiloh were surprised that the confederates decided to assume the offensive. But I think it's too often overstated and exaggerated - "the worst surprise of the war!!

Maybe the hyperbole would fit if the results had been different, and Grant was defeated.

But there were other strategic surprises that were arguably more ominous. How about September 12th or so, 1863, the moment Rosecrans realizes that Bragg is NOT actually retreating into Georgia but staging for an attack, and Rosecrans has his forces scattered all over the place?

Back