Grant Was Frederick Douglass photographed more times than Ulysses S. Grant?

That is a really great collection of US Grant images. I was thinking I have seen one somewhere from his time in St. Louis, before moving to Galena. In the front or near Grant's farm, cabin, in it's original location. Keep up the fantastic work, I know it is some hard work.

The first 3 photos of Grant are very uncommon. The Gutekunst picture is possibly unpublished. The other 2 are possible Grant pics, one is by Rockwood of NY the other is a tintype with no photographer's logo.
I put watermarks on them because all photos are from my collection and I do not wish to have them used on the net without permission.

I have several photos I purchesed back in the late 1960' that belonged to relatives of General George B McClellan
some of the photos I believe to be George A Custer , his sister Maggie, his nephew Harry Reed and others. I'll post them when time permits.

Any comments are welcome.

I have a wide variety of my photographs on my site:
http://armandsphotos.com/page1.php

Attachments

• 0737_ADG_Grant 1870s San Francisco wtrmrkd.jpg
    0737_ADG_Grant 1870s San Francisco wtrmrkd.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 1949 U S Grant by C D Fredricks wtrmrkt.jpg
    1949 U S Grant by C D Fredricks wtrmrkt.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 2686 Gen grant by Gutekunst of Philadelphia mwtrmrkd.jpg
    2686 Gen grant by Gutekunst of Philadelphia mwtrmrkd.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 0098_ Grant Ret Wtrmrk.jpg
    0098_ Grant Ret Wtrmrk.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 0494_ADGret3 wtrmrkd.jpg
    0494_ADGret3 wtrmrkd.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 140
The first 3 photos of Grant are very uncommon. The Gutekunst picture is possibly unpublished. The other 2 are possible Grant pics, one is by Rockwood of NY the other is a tintype with no photographer's logo.
I put watermarks on them because all photos are from my collection and I do not wish to have them used on the net without permission.

I have several photos I purchesed back in the late 1960' that belonged to relatives of General George B McClellan
some of the photos I believe to be George A Custer , his sister Maggie, his nephew Harry Reed and others. I'll post them when time permits.

Nice photos of Grant I would love to see your photos of Custer and his kin.

Two of these do not look like Grant.

Pictures of Grant sitting for Mathew Brady remind me of this story:

To secure a new photograph of the general, Stanton (who now knew what Grant looked like) hustled the general down to Mathew Brady's studio on the Seventh Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Grant took up his position in front of the camera, his face barely revealing any emotion, and waited patiently. It was midafternoon, and Brady directed his assistant to go up anon the roof to uncover the skylight. The assistant slipped; the skylight shattered. As Brady and Stanton watched in horror, shards of glass, each some two inches thick, cascaded around the general, each fragment potentially damaging if not lethal. As the pieces hit the floor, the two men stared, astonished , at Grant, who sat unmoved and unhurt. He glanced up at the ceiling, then back at the cameras, as if nothing noteworthy had happened. Brady later called it "the most remarkable display of nerve I ever witnessed"; and excited Stanton, fearing rumors of an assassination attempt, swore the photographer to secrecy. Then the session went on. Ulysses S. Grant, Triumph Over Adversity, 1822-1865, Brooks D. Simpson, [pg 266]​

Pictures of Grant sitting for Mathew Brady remind me of this story:

To secure a new photograph of the general, Stanton (who now knew what Grant looked like) hustled the general down to Mathew Brady's studio on the Seventh Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Grant took up his position in front of the camera, his face barely revealing any emotion, and waited patiently. It was midafternoon, and Brady directed his assistant to go up anon the roof to uncover the skylight. The assistant slipped; the skylight shattered. As Brady and Stanton watched in horror, shards of glass, each some two inches thick, cascaded around the general, each fragment potentially damaging if not lethal. As the pieces hit the floor, the two men stared, astonished , at Grant, who sat unmoved and unhurt. He glanced up at the ceiling, then back at the cameras, as if nothing noteworthy had happened. Brady later called it "the most remarkable display of nerve I ever witnessed"; and excited Stanton, fearing rumors of an assassination attempt, swore the photographer to secrecy. Then the session went on. Ulysses S. Grant, Triumph Over Adversity, 1822-1865, Brooks D. Simpson, [pg 266]​
That's a great story! I hadn't heard that before. A "... remarkable display of nerve" says a lot about Grant.

Reactions: Bee
grant grand review1.jpg

88. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review2.jpg

89. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review3.jpg

90. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review4.jpg

91. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review5.jpg

92. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review77.jpg

93. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review6.jpg

94. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: Library of Congress.

grant grand review8.jpg

95. Grant in reviewing stand at the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington D.C., May 23-24, 1865. Attributed to Mathew Brady. Source: National Archives and Records Administration.

Here are a few rarer images I've found:
1880.jpg

Grant his wife Julia, daughter-in-law Ida and granddaughter Julia presumably at their seaside cottage in Long Branch NJ ca. late 1870's. (I'm diggin the plaid pants :wink:)​

img030.jpg
Grant and wife Julia at Martha's Vineyard ca. 1870's.
Aztec 2.jpg

Grant and his son Lt. Col. Fred (leaning on pillar) with the Aztec Club Anniversary Dinner Sept. 16, 1873​

prod_30125.jpg

The only known image of Grant on horseback.​

August 1879 Japan.jpg

Grant in Japan on his world tour August 1879.

lf (1).jpg

Grant in San Francisco presumably at the end of his World Tour in 1879.

540.jpg

Grant 1881.jpg

Grant in 1881

Back