Was Bloody Bill literate ?

Dutch Waits

Cadet
I have never seen a reference to William T. Anderson receiving any primary education, but I also have never seen a reference to his being illiterate. Do we know one way or the other ? Is there an extant example of his handwriting ?

mobile_96

First Sergeant
a reference to William T. Anderson receiving any primary education
from wiki: Only quoting from wiki because it has a historian noting "some kind" of education
His schoolmates recalled him as a well-behaved, reserved child.[1]
reference is for..Wood, Larry (2003). The Civil War Story of Bloody Bill Anderson. Eakin Press. ISBN 978-1-57168-640-4.
Seems he had at least as much education as the average farmer of the day.

Dutch Waits

Cadet
from wiki: Only quoting from wiki because it has a historian noting "some kind" of education
His schoolmates recalled him as a well-behaved, reserved child.[1]
reference is for..Wood, Larry (2003). The Civil War Story of Bloody Bill Anderson. Eakin Press. ISBN 978-1-57168-640-4.
Seems he had at least as much education as the average farmer of the day.
Thank you; that is helpful. What I would really like to know now is the name of the school he attended, however sporadically.

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Thank you; that is helpful. What I would really like to know now is the name of the school he attended, however sporadically.
Capt. Anderson was born in 1840 in KY, but as a young child his family moved to Huntsville, MO where he attended school. Around 1856-7 his family moved to Council Grove, KS to work in the freighting business associated with the Santa Fe trail. His formal education probably ended with the move to KS.